Shore entries with full-foot fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

franciscogalarza

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there! I've been reading this forum for a while and this is my first post.
I designed my gear to be as lightweight, easy to travel with and streamlined as possible, that's the priority #1.
My fins are the Cressi Pluma Fins-Pluma and I absolutely love them for many reasons and I don't want to replace them. But they're full-foot which means that I can't wear boots.

The problem is that I do a fair bit of shore entry dives here in Sydney walking on slippery and sometimes sharp rocks and I really need some protection for my feet.
Is there a slim boot that I can wear with full-foot fins? Or a pair of socks with a hard sole? Or any other alternative? Or do I have to get a pair of heavy open-heel fins and boots?

Thanks!

I was in a similar situation over 5 years ago when I was only snorkelling. Had a pair of Cressi closed fins (aka no straps). Really good fins. However, they were always awkward putting on in the water. I had my first chance of trying open heeled fins when I was doing my O/W about 4 years ago. I immediately bought a pair of Cressi open heeled and 5mm Mares boots. Both are still in mint shape and I have done a bunch of shore diving in Curacao and Bonaire.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet and buy open heeled fins with boots. Boots should be with a hard sole. My Mares are not but I got by in Bonaire (iron shore entries). Good luck and safe diving!

Bite the bullet and make the change. Nothing is going to protect your feet when you have 20kg on your back without a hard sole, and if you have a hard sole, you need open heeled fins.
They'll also save your heels on long dives.

Open heeled fins don't have to be heavy, there's plenty of light recreation style models available.

Stick those fins up on the "sydney dive gear for sale" FB site, i'm sure some backpacker will buy them.

Thanks for the answer!
I'd like to know if there's a way to do it with full-foot fins. The reason is that I'm also into free diving, and free diving fins are full-foot.

I totally think it depends on the conditions where you are. I have full fins that I love in Cayman and they were not right for where we were in St Thomas. The water entry there was very rocky at least where we were and I was jealous of those who had booties. I could never be bothered with them here in Cayman. I used to think of the choices purely as cold water fins and warm water fins but put that to the wayside a long time ago.

i have a set of hollis f2 for travel nice and light with spring heel strap and a set of light neoprene boots that i store in fin pocket for travel.nice grip on rocks and you dont feel gravel through them made by bare and were only 50 canadian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom