• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Short essay on influence of sea hunt

Discussion in 'History of Scuba Diving: Tales from the Abyss' started by covediver, Feb 28, 2018.

1. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I don't get it. Don't use a J-valve? Or always check your J-valve?

2. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
  3. Compressor

Compressor ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I don't think SeaHunt influenced me but the show Flipper certainly did. I remember saying some day I will dive in waters like that.:) And..... I kept my word.:):):)

AfterDark likes this.
  4. scrane

scrane Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Who's Zale Parry?

5. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Click here: Zale Parry

AfterDark and drbill like this.
  6. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest Scuba Legend

I count Zale as a personal friend. She was a REAL diver back in the 1950s, setting the women's deep diving record here off Catalina in the mid-50s, featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated and still a diver today. She comes out to Catalina to dive once a year and is a real treasure.

7. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

Sea Hunt was what sparked my interest in diving @age 5?6?, actually putting my head in the water with a mask and snorkel on for the 1st time was how/when I fell in love with diving. We have Sea Hunt re-runs via DVDs all the time at my home.

KathyV likes this.
  8. John C. Ratliff

John C. Ratliff Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Well, Lloyd was an actor; Jacques Cousteau was a naval officer. Not only that, but his Undersea Research Group was doing reconnescence on German naval activities while France was occupied, and reporting it to the Allies at great risk. Some of his officers served in the French-Indochina War too. Cousteau himself would be somewhat at a disadvantage, as he had suffered a disabling arm injury in an automobile accident. I think he mostly recovered, but it kept him out of naval air ops (and therefore may have saved his life during WWII).

For me in Salem, Oregon, my motivation came from Cousteau's The Silent World at the Elsinore Theator, and was completely enthralled. That whole summer I picked strawberries and beans to earn enough money to buy a scuba unit, a Healthways SCUBA double hose regulator and a 38 cubic foot tank.

I did watch Sea Hunt, but mostly looked for the mistakes in the film; the weight belts under the Scuba harness, changes in gear in the middle of a scene, etc. Sea Hunt was fun to watch, but Cousteau was the real thing. I learned scuba diving by reading Cousteau's book (again, The Silent World) at least three times. I finally was certified four years later, by LA County Instructor Roy France. We had to "import" him from California, as there were no instructors in Salem, Oregon in 1962-63.

When I subsequently went through the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers, the Navy instructors were very harsh on anyone who mimicked the Mike Nelson signature face mask on the forehead thing. That cost anyone so ignorant as to do that 25 push-ups, immediately, and even if that person had two 90s on his back.

SeaRat

Seaweed Doc and DavidFL like this.
  9. scrane

scrane Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Seems they didn't teach irony in the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers. :)

10. John C. Ratliff

John C. Ratliff Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    No, they didn't. But Bob Means did. Here's a short story from my experience at the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers:
    The reason for the no-mask-on-forehead metronome (pounded into our heads) was that on a mission, if a rogue wave knocked that mask off our head, it would compromise the mission. Even now, I hesitate to put my mask on my forehead, though it's great for photos.

SeaRat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018