Short notice help: How to setup a G9 w/ Ikelite housing....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flybigjet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This ought to make someone laugh.....

Headed to an almost monthlong trip to Guam (Apra Harbor), Palau (OHIII and kayaking the Rock Islands) and Truk (Odyssey) in a few weeks with the Wife. I have a complete GoPro setup with mount and video lights. I've tested it, dialed it in, and am pretty happy with the results.

Aaaaaand? The wife (at the *very* last minute!) decides she wants a still camera for underwater shots.

So. In the interest on Marital Harmony, I picked up a used Ikelite housing and a used (near new) Canon G9 (not the G9X)-- mostly because on my last dive trip, one of the gents there had a similar setup and he was very happy with it. I have a whole raft of digital camera's in the house-- and not a single one had a dedicated underwater housing for them. Go figure.

I don't have a strobe (since I'm not made of money and this is last minute), so I'm looking for some suggestions on how to run the camera-- what settings? Auto? Manual? ISO? Auto-ISO? It has an "underwater white balance" setting, so that's good-- but I'm not sure if I need to run full Auto, Shutter Priority, or Aperture Priority. I've been using Asahi's (back a million years ago when there was something called "film"), Panasonic digital point and shoot's and FujiFilm DSLR's, but this is my first experience with Canon.

Pictures are obviously going to be of stuff in Guam, Palau and Truk. I'll shoot RAW, and my wife is a pretty good photo editor with LightBox (or something Mac-y).

We're gear up out of Denver on the 31st, so my wife just HAD to come up with this bright idea a week before we leave.

Any help GRATEFULLY accepted!

R.

Last edited:
I had a similar setup when I started without any strobes with a Canon G15 and used the auto setting until I got some strobes and arms for it. You will want the correct color correction filter for it though. You will still need to tweak them in Lightroom though but shouldn't need much.

I would consider using program mode with a reasonable ISO for lower light like 200 or maybe 400. The G9 has a small sensor. Turn the flash off. I would try to use the custom white balance rather than the Underwater mode. I bet this would give pretty good photos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom