short Okinawa trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andydob27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My GF wants to escape the lousy Gunma winter for a few days the first week of March and fly down to Okinawa.

She keeps asking me questions, but I've never been there and have no clue.

Where is good location to stay...North, south, central, on a smaller island, etc.? I'm looking for a hotel with a nice ocean view and in walking distance to a place to get a few drinks in the evening.

How is the diving the first week in March? Is a 3mm (full) wetsuit enough (that's all I have)? I'll only be able to dive one day, but I still want to do it. Just not sure if it's worth lugging down my gear for only a couple dives. Any recommended dive shops (English speaking would be preferred, but not needed)?

Any advice and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Andy

If a 3mm is enough or not is kinda hard to say, as that also depends on the person. When I've been there last year beginning of May I was diving with a 5mm and thought it was a bit chilly, but another guy was perfectly fine with a 1.5mm. Same guy was diving with shorts and T-Shirt in August when I was wearing my 3mm. So for me, a 3mm would not be enough in March, but for you, who knows? :wink:

According to this page the surface water temperature last year beginning of march was something like 20-21 degree celsius, same in 2011.

I have only been diving with Reef Encounters on Okinawa so far, so I can't really compare to other shops over there, but I have been so satisfied with their service that I went to dive with them two more times and most likely will do so again this year.

As for hotels, that also depends on your budget and your expectations I'd say. If you are going to dive with Reef Encounters I can recommend the Beachside Condominium in Chatan, right at Araha Beach (if you can't find it with rakuten, try jalan). There are a bunch of bars/restaurants in that area as well. You actually get an appartment, not a hotel room, so you get a fully equipped kitchen with silverware etc., a washing machine, a dryer (which you probably won't need) and a nice bath. And at least the building I was in was brand new, not run down like some other places where I have stayed. I paid something like 5500 or 5900 yen per night, but that was during obon, so you should be able to get a better deal, at least per person. I also had a small balcony with view towards the beach/ocean, though I personally don't need to see the beach from my room when I could just go outside and be at the beach within a minute or two :D

Other than that I can second Diver1968, contact Reef Encounters for more information on diving etc.

Andy, are you US military or DoD? I currently live in Okinawa and can give you a lot of info on dive locations. Most diving is on the west side and shore diving is every where. PM me and I can give you exact site locations and contacts for boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info. Reefencounters looks perfect as does staying around Chatan.

I thought Okinawa was going to be a little warmer next month, so we are going to hang on and go the week after Golden week in May. Weather will be warmer and shouldn't be too busy after GW.

The week after Golden Week is usually a good time to visit. Prices for hotels drop and the crowds are down a little. Weather will be a bit warmer by then also - March we are still in "winter" water temps about 21-22C currently and will stay that way until around the end of March when they start to slowly get warmer. Most people are diving a 5mm in March - water temps in Golden week will be a few degrees higher.
The Beachside Condo's in Araha are nice and a very short walk from the beach and close by lots of restaurants and nightlife. Also near by shopping and spas if the GF does not dive.

I would gladly take the "winter" temps of 21-22 - that's like October diving here in Shizuoka. Did a few dives last year as cold as 18 but that was a little uncomfortable.

Interesting, I would have thought Shizuoka is colder than Kumamoto. According to my computer we had 22 degress in the end of October over here. I used a 5mm suit plus 3mm hooded vest, but I wasn't exactly warm.

I didn't have a hood and proper gloves or boots - I used surfing boots and gloves :wink: FWIW, our highest temperature was 27.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom