Should agencies back off of Solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Won't happen until we kill off all the lawyers.

The agencies have to protect themselves from freeding frenzies by lawyers.

President Kennedy gave us a goal of reaching the moon within a decade. I don't see why a president can't also proclaim a goal of eliminating lawyers from our society within a decade.

Of course you realize that most of the lawmakers who would become president are also lawyers, right? :D

Here goes my forum lurker status...

The arguments around solo strike me kinda like the arguments I heard about teaching sex ed in school. If you are going to do it, then do it safely. but, does teaching a thing make you an advocate or endorser of the thing?

The issue of getting a c-card for solo is what makes this a tough discussion. I don't think anyone is against a diver becoming a safer, better, more aware diver through formalized training.

Where I'm going with this is that I strongly feel that there should be some formal course that teaches the correct equipment, skills and mind set for 'optimal redundancy and safety' in cases where 'you may be separated from your buddy'.

Just because someone dives solo does not mean that they are correctly equipped or have the required skills. Unfortunately without some form of access to training, you end up learning on your own or, God forbid, trusting some internet guru who 'does it all the time, its no big deal'.

There.. An Optimal Redundancy and Safety' (ORS) c-card.

A rose by any other name...

I think it makes sense for agencies to downplay solo diving in favor of the buddy system. The allure of enjoying the solitude of diving when and were you want is hard enough to resist. We see many divers here on the board looking to go solo before they have a clue of the risks, let alone the mitigation's. I say it's prudent to keep the solo genie in the bottle for a long as possible.

Having said that for many there comes a time an place for solo diving and having ready access to a specialty with appropriate prerequisites makes sense to me. Specialties and full blow certifications are offered for other elevated risk activities (cave, wreck penetration, deco, ice ...) so why should the solo diver need to wing it. Solo is not a crime.

Pete

Of course you realize that most of the lawmakers who would become president are also lawyers, right? :D

And the problem with getting rid of them would be what?

Back
Top Bottom