Should all recreational BCD’s have two tank bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still find threading cam buckles without a picture in front of me to be one of my most challenging skills. I can do a long no mask swim, at 130 feet, in cold water. No worries. I can shoot a bag in a silty quarry without stirring up any muck. Easy as pie. But, threading the d**n cam buckle still requires thought for some reason. :)

I find I can do it more quickly with my eyes closed, and relying on muscle memory. Takes about 5 seconds that way. If I'm looking, I'm thinking about it, and although I'll get the job done it actually takes longer.

... kinda like tying a bowline ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

When we fly we place all of our dive gear, with the exception of fins, in carry-on backpacks. Unfortunately, this requires completely disassembling our BP/W kits in order to pack them flat. We are constantly rethreading cam bands, so now it is automatic. The bigger question is, who came up with this convoluted system in the first place?

I find I can do it more quickly with my eyes closed, and relying on muscle memory. Takes about 5 seconds that way. If I'm looking, I'm thinking about it, and although I'll get the job done it actually takes longer.

... kinda like tying a bowline ..

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Metal - middle - inside - out

It is odd how many students and new divers have loose bands. The worst thing is that the tank slipping generally happens to beginners, who then get unreasonably stressed about it. Sometimes it seems like they all have to experience or at least witness the problem before they take the matter seriously and learn to pay attention each and every time. From what I have seen (1 person's anecdotal experience, I don't claim this is universal), more experienced divers pretty much never have this problem. None of us usually wet the bands in advance because it's often not easily done (on a boat, or when getting dressed a fair ways away from the water), and we know from not doing on those occasions that it isn't necessary - you just need to genuinely pay attention every single time, always get the strap as tight as possible and make sure the rubber "stopper matt" on the strap is properly placed so it can hold the tank as effectively as possible. Not (or no longer) having a stopper matt on the strap might be why other folks do have slipping tanks.

All that said, it would be a huge improvement if the BCDs had double straps. I've helped enough students with slipping tanks that I would love to see a better system make this problem go away, or make it much harder to have a problem (i.e. it gets loose, but it is 100% NOT able to fall). Unfortunately it is also likely to cost more than many would be willing to pay.

Definetely double bands should not be be required. According to my experience it very rarely happens to experienced divers, so it's more a disadvantage than any real problem. It's far, far away from needing a legally mandated fix.
It might be a worthwhile option though, or a feature that deserves some praise and advertising on models that have it. There is also room for some completely different design solution to fix or improve this "disadvantage".

Last edited:
When changing tanks, a BCD with integrated weights will hang "on diagonal": heavy BCD side lower, buckle side up. The cam will tighten up, the pad will keep it from slipping, but once in the water, the weight's removed and the strap is no longer tight. When you know this, you make sure the strap is horizontal before closing the buckle, and the problem no longer occurs.

Definetely double bands should not be be required. According to my experience it very rarely happens to experienced divers, so it's more a disadvantage than any real problem. It's far, far away from needing a legally mandated fix.
It might be a worthwhile option though, or a feature that deserves some praise and advertising on models that have it. There is also room for some completely different design solution to fix or improve this "disadvantage".

Agreed! I am the very last person to advocate for government intervention or control over anything. However, after rereading my post I can see how this could be implied when referring to an “industry standard”. Cheers.

Last edited:
When changing tanks, a BCD with integrated weights will hang "on diagonal": heavy BCD side lower, buckle side up. The cam will tighten up, the pad will keep it from slipping, but once in the water, the weight's removed and the strap is no longer tight. When you know this, you make sure the strap is horizontal before closing the buckle, and the problem no longer occurs.

I found the easiest way to do that was assembling with the tank horizontal. This made sure the band was straight, flat, and tight. When the tank with BC was stood up if there was any movement between them, then it needed to be readjusted. I never needed to wet the band.

Bob

Bob- How do you do that?

I found the easiest way to do that was assembling with the tank horizontal.

Unfortunately that doesn't usually work on boats.

Back
Top Bottom