Should I buy a nitrox (O2) analyzer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And what type of mixes you are testing, the higher the oxygen content the faster you use the cell or so they tell me.. I'm about 2 years on mine, and the sensor is getting close to needing a replacement. Once it gets below 95% on my oxygen bottle, with my other tester confirming that it is pure oxygen, I'm going to replace it. But I am using it weekly testing pure oxygen among my other bottles. If you keep it in a sealed container between dive trips you will probably get 3 years easily.
Why 95%? That means you're OK with a 4% difference? That sounds like .. a lot?!

Why 95%? That means you're OK with a 4% difference? That sounds like .. a lot?!

The sensors are already +/- 1% on a good day. And all I'm doing is verifying a mix that I already know, all testing it at 95% does is add a little extra deco, which is more conservative. I still treat the MOD like it is 100%.

We are divers. We buy gadgets. Yes, you should have a O2 analyzer, and perhaps a CO analyzer, and if you want to really get fancy, perhaps a helium analyzer just in case you ever decide to dive trimix.

I have 2 of each.

When I took my nitrox cert, I budgeted in an analyzer. I don't trust other peoples' analyzers. Even not my LDS' analyzer.

If you can afford the nitrox cert fee and the cost of nitrox, you probably can afford an analyzer (and a new cell every two to three years). Do your own analysis, using an instrument you have full control of.

Not sure how common this is, since I have only been on one dive boat, but I did the advanced and Nitrox courses about a month ago. The boat we were on did not pass around an O2 analyzer or even have the tanks labeled. The captain just carried your 2 tanks on board and said "31% and 32%" and that was it.

No one on the boat seemed to mind, but me being new to Nitrox felt like it was a little too casual. I never had any plans to buy an analyzer until then.

When I took my nitrox cert, I budgeted in an analyzer. I don't trust other peoples' analyzers. Even not my LDS' analyzer.

If you can afford the nitrox cert fee and the cost of nitrox, you probably can afford an analyzer (and a new cell every two to three years). Do your own analysis, using an instrument you have full control of.
Oh yes...it's not a matter of money. I just wasn't sure if I needed to purchase one for myself, but it looks like it's a good idea to do so. Thanks!

I did not know that the lifespan depended on the mix.
It sort of does. O2 cells usually start failing by not being able to deliver maximum voltage, and then it deteriorates. So an almost spent cell may well be able to deliver a proper signal for 32% while not being able to deliver a proper signal for 80% or 100%. Problem is, when do you detect that it can't deliver a proper signal for 32%? So when it starts to fail, better replace it.

I'm kind of a technical person and like gadgets.
Well, what's your question, then? Go and buy another gadget. It's gonna be fun.

I realize this is the basic forum. But NEVER NEVER NEVER trust any oxygen analyzer other than your own. Too many divers with bad outcomes breathing the wrong gas mix that somebody else analyzed or didn’t calibrate correctly. One of the responsibilities of breathing a gas other than air is to own and use your analyzer.

I realize this is the basic forum. But NEVER NEVER NEVER trust any oxygen analyzer other than your own. Too many divers with bad outcomes breathing the wrong gas mix that somebody else analyzed or didn’t calibrate correctly. One of the responsibilities of breathing a gas other than air is to own and use your analyzer.

Why do I have a feeling you work for Maxtec?

Jokes aside, DogDiver is 100% correct. However, I know 2x of my analyzers got busted somewhere in the 5 connections to Burma three years ago. Yes, it's a good tool to have provided you actually know how to calibrate it, service it, and protect it. I'd say most rec/AOW won't, in which case is it really worth the investment?

If you're going to a well run resort/liveaboard with a long reputation for professionalism, I'll take the risk using their analyzer. Trying out a new shop or questionable professionalism, bring your own.

Back
Top Bottom