Should I buy an old Aluminum 80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I buy it then I'll end up selling my newer aluminum 80 from 2014 that has brushed aluminum finish(and will need a hydro this year).

Sell a tank! :eek:

Never can tell when you might need it, you will have two old tanks.

Bob

If the sole impetus is to have a yellow tank, just rattle can it with some safety yellow krylon and be prepared to spooge it off before viz every year if your shop gets uppity about it being painted.....

I'd rather have a tank with known pedigree and than old tank with unknown pedigree just for the paint job.

If the sole impetus is to have a yellow tank, just rattle can it with some safety yellow krylon and be prepared to spooge it off before viz every year if your shop gets uppity about it being painted.....

I'd rather have a tank with known pedigree and than old tank with unknown pedigree just for the paint job.

My primary dive shop owner said he will not fill a tank that has been painted, I guess they want to see if there are dents etc.

Sell a tank! :eek:

Never can tell when you might need it, you will have two old tanks.

Bob
I've decided not to sell the 2014 AL 80, so now I have 5 AL80 tanks (two of which are old AL6351 and can't be filled) and one steel 72 that my father used in the 1960's(I used it once).

It might be time to take the two AL6351 tanks to the scrap metal dealer, they probably are worth $15 each.

@DanSi
It might be time to take the two AL6351 tanks to the scrap metal dealer, they probably are worth $15 each.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Where you reside it snows. sleets and RAINS
Cut the top off and make a umbrella stand

SDM

My primary dive shop owner said he will not fill a tank that has been painted, I guess they want to see if there are dents etc.
There were a couple of instance a long time ago where people were painting tanks with a very hard durable paint, but part of the process was to bake on the paint. Metals (I think these were steel)lose much of their strength when exposed to high heat. The tanks failed in the filling stations and people did die.

Most shops have no way of being sure how a tank was painted and blanket rules about over filling or painted tanks or what ever are their prerogative. The shop I go to won’t do cave fills because a burst disk failed and shot across the room like a bullet. Fortunately, it didn’t hit anyone, but judging from the damage it did, and the trajectory it would have been a fatal head shot. I don’t really need a cave fill that badly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom