Should I buy these Japanese (Asahi?) 120 tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the tanks look really cool !! dove them a few times and there is no sign of rust or chipping of the paint yet

I was just down at Sports Chalet they other day and thought of this thread , they carry Asahi tanks there . Not to bad of prices either.

just remember that if you buy one,there is only a two year warranty on it !! that comes out to about $150 a year !!

I'm sure after your threats of going to the BBB they probably won't want to do business with you either. I've usually found that if you're not rude or threatening and CALMLY explain the situation in full, you can usually get positive results. I tried the threat technique (non scuba related) and it got me nowhere. I know I'm new here to the boards but I've worked in customer service (again, non scuba related) but after reading your posts I wouldn't give you the time of day over this, especially since you already fixed the problem yourself. What good would it do going to the BBB now since you already sanded and painted your tanks? If you hadn't resorted to threats and calmly explained to them at GENESIS that you were upset they might have reimbursed you for the sanding and painting. Pissing off a customer is not the way to go, but threatening on a public board is even worse. Just my two cents, hope you feel better, I know I do.:D
I hope I didn't hit a nerve or offend you, that wasn't my intention at all. But continue on I don't mind......:popcorn:

my comversations with them started with an explanation and my asking them what I could do about re-coating the tanks. it was only after the way they responded that i started to get upset. first ,the "CUSTOMER SERVICE " rep said that he didn't even know the tanks ,and tried to steer me to "norris" and then later said "catalina cylenders" will only warranty the coating for two years. they don't even have the testicular fortitude to say "WE" only warranty the tanks two years (i believe the industry standard is 5 years ) i have dealt with customer service people before and usually get results (see link in "nitrox blending") i don't really care about any re-inbursment ,but i feel that the people reading the post about theese tanks (and any other diver considering buying tanks) should know the facts.
1-the tanks are only guaranteed for two years ,and are not labeled as such
2-the coating will eventually fall off and there is nothing GENESIS will do about it
so i guess going to the BBB will put it on public record .
"I FEEEL GOOD NA NA NA NA NA NA NAA !!!!"
quote by the late James Brown !!!

Well, as long as you feel good about it. I guess that is what it comes down to isn't it?
Well, good luck with your cool gold tanks. Out of curiousity, what kind of paint did you use? If you used spray paint aren't you worried about the ocean eating through it? Did you bake it? Steel 120's would need a big oven. I'm asking because I dive steel 72's with a plastic coating that has begun to wear off and wanted to sandblast then repaint. But I want to get it done as cheaply as possible. Any suggestions?

i had them sand blasted and then used cold galvanize spray paint,i put on four coats , and then went with the color coat (gold) and put on another three or four coats, and then i went with a clear acryllic coat, another four coats !! i bought all the paint at Kragens and did not bake anything. if you try to bake the tanks be careful of the temp, you will lose the temper of the steel at around 900 degrees . that is why i didn't go with a powder coat or hot dip galvanize proccess, they get to close to the high temp level of the tempered steel. as far as the ocean eating through the paint, i imagine that eventually the paint will wear down or chip , in places like where the strap buckle goes around the tank ,and around the very top flat surface where the valve mates to the tank,(especially the lip ) . but for about $10-15 bucks a tank,i will just sand down the worn out spot and re-paint it . ask your local dive shop how they feel about painted steel tanks though, some will not fill them . i fill my own nitrox so i don't really care what they have to say !! make sure that you can see all the stamped numbers and letters on the top of the tank ,(hydro dates and tank info) if it is just the plastic coating that is coming off, why not just hand sand the outside and apply the clear acrylic if it is not down to bare metal ? i live in Chula Vista and if you want to see how i did mine come on by (P.M. me for a number)
steve m

i just looked at your profile,and seen your from Monterey, i guess you aren't going to make it to chula vista right away to see the tanks OOPS !! never mind

Any body know the buoyancy and weight stats of the Ashai tanks?
I used to have a a great list of many tanks including these but of course don't anymore.
And all the pages I find on the web don't list them anymore.
I'm wonderuing specifically about their 80's and 100's

AquaW:
Any body know the buoyancy and weight stats of the Ashai tanks?
I used to have a a great list of many tanks including these but of course don't anymore.
And all the pages I find on the web don't list them anymore.
I'm wonderuing specifically about their 80's and 100's

IF Genesis still sells Ashai tanks, then you can get it off their web site.
http://www.genesisscuba.com/product.php?product_id=201

(not sure if these tanks at the URL are Ashai or not though)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom