Should I go back to traditional reg set-up? (vs. primary donate)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why give up my definitive (in my mouth) air supply to risk not getting my octopus and now I'm at risk of drowning too??

Right off the bat, you will be giving him a working regulator, always a good plan. In addition, the configuration you dive, such as an Air2 or bungeed alternate, may determine that you can not donate the alternate. When you are configured to donate an alternate do you insure that the alternate is working and in place during the dive? Without checking, one doesn’t know. I breathe my bungeed backup for a while each dive.

If you are at risk for drowning with a reg out of your mouth for a moment, you should work on your watermanship skills. If it’s because your alternate isn’t available or working, see my first paragraph. You will be in worse trouble if the OOA diver doesn’t get air immediately from your alternate.

Right off the bat, you will be giving him a working regulator, always a good plan. In addition, the configuration you dive, such as an Air2 or bungeed alternate, may determine that you can not donate the alternate. When you are configured to donate an alternate do you insure that the alternate is working and in place during the dive? Without checking, one doesn’t know. I breathe my bungeed backup for a while each dive.

If you are at risk for drowning with a reg out of your mouth for a moment, you should work on your watermanship skills. If it’s because your alternate isn’t available or working, see my first paragraph. You will be in worse trouble if the OOA diver doesn’t get air immediately from your alternate.

I add in, I'm not panicking so I'm making rational decisions to get both of us out. Plan for the worst and all surprises will be pleasant.

For now, this is largely an academic question, as I cant dive for the time being (my county is on lockdown).

A few years back I swapped out my regs to a primary donate set-up. I had not done so previously, frankly, out of laziness, but finally decided the small amount of reduced risk was worth it. Also, I had never found an octo-holder that worked properly.

Should I go back? Are folks more worried about taking a reg from someones mouth now? I've never had to donate before, but we're talking about the weighing of small risks anyways.

I dont know whether the coronavirus can survive underwater the second it takes to donate. Nobody may know about this, since its a novel virus.

Speaking for myself, right now, I think I'd rather take the reg that wasnt in your mouth.

What do you all think?

I have always been concerned about sharing the same regulator. Especially during training or practicing for OOA which happens a lot more than real OOA.

Yes, the mouthpiece probably gets washed pretty well during the exchange, but what about the wad of spit that may be hiding inside the reg?

There are also a lot of other diseases to think about. Herpes, hepatitis, mononucleosis, the regular flu, etc.

I'm sticking with primary donate and as Bob DBF said with an Air2 it's your only option. I think that there are many rec divers out there that are set up primary donate and don't realize it or have not practiced it. Think about it they just got certified and were trained octo donate and then go rent or buy gear that has an Air2 set up and now they are primary donate and have never done it.

Basically Im asking - in the off-chance that you need air - would you prefer to take a reg from someone's mouth, or hanging in the water on an octo-holder? I frankly would prefer the latter. And I know we're talking about a small risk.
I am pretty sure if anyone is OOA, they would not be concerned. I'm a pretty OCD person and I'm pretty sure getting air would be my only concern.
This shouldn't be a consideration when deciding on which configuration you're going with IMO.

For now, this is largely an academic question, as I cant dive for the time being (my county is on lockdown).

Given that the local dive shops are closed as non-essential services and probably won't reopen until coronavirus is under control, and that crossing county lines to get to dive sites is not really a responsible thing to do (and which may actually result in a fine since I hear there are now CSP enforcement officers monitoring some of the sites), I don't see any reason for you to change your reg setup unless it's for reasons unrelated to coronavirus :)

That said, as for which reg I'd prefer to receive a donation from in a theoretical OOA situation, my list from best to worst would look something like this:
1. Coronavirus-free octo that's been well secured all dive
2. Potentially coronavirus-infected primary that I know is working
3. Coronavirus-free octo that's fallen out of its holder and has been dangling about and bumping into stuff all dive which might not be working

Given that the local dive shops are closed as non-essential services and probably won't reopen until coronavirus is under control, and that crossing county lines to get to dive sites is not really a responsible thing to do (and which may actually result in a fine since I hear there are now CSP enforcement officers monitoring some of the sites), I don't see any reason for you to change your reg setup unless it's for reasons unrelated to coronavirus :)

That said, as for which reg I'd prefer to receive a donation from in a theoretical OOA situation, my list from best to worst would look something like this:
1. Coronavirus-free octo that's been well secured all dive
2. Potentially coronavirus-infected primary that I know is working
3. Coronavirus-free octo that's fallen out of its holder and has been dangling about and bumping into stuff all dive which might not be working
There are so many other bacteria and viruses in water, the particular pulmonary virus doesnt even rank. You are more likely to get cholera or dysentery.

donate/take the reg then is being breathed on- as long as your both doing everything else correctly your not going to get a gas thats unsuited for the current depth this is more relevant to te\ch diving eg high 02 or hypoxic gas etc but itll make your muscle memory established if you do

BUMP

Hard to believe that I made this thread only 2 weeks ago.

Again, this is an academic question as I wont be diving any time soon. But Im wondering if 2 weeks time has changed anyone's thoughts.

And I understand that were talking about the difference of very small risks one way or another, and it likely wont ever matter (I've never had to donate in 15+ yrs of diving).

But I believe I will be switching out my primary donate set-up to traditional. I just dont like the idea of effectively having to French-kiss some rando that I happen to be diving with when I stupidly run out air, so out of consideration for my buddy, I think its best to switch to traditional.

Im a rec diver only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom