Should I go Full Metric from the Start ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was certified OW and Advanced twenty years and did about 30 dives but then stopped diving. I am starting back again and have projects to do a GUE Fundamental Skills course very soon.

I downloaded the course materiel and started doing the gas management exercices. I have been doing a lot of supplementary reading also. Comparing the Metric and Imperial systems, it appears the Metric is much more simple and intuitive for all aspects of dive planning.

I am thinking of going Full Metric and for instance buying a SPG that reads in Bars instead of PSI.

I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and I realize that probably most potential buddies around me will still be using the Imperial system.

Any thoughts and comments about me taking this route ?

I thought Canada was full metric? People use PSI gauges in the Great White North? I'm utterly shocked! :D

You can get SPG's that read in both, however in North America in general it's easier to work in PSI and cubic feet for most people as those are the units our tanks are sold.
I have bar spg's on some of my regulators, but PSI is easier for most people to work with so I usually end up having to convert back

I am in Ontario... In this area, metric is available, but you have to ask for it. Pretty much everything is imperial when it comes to diving, and I do not see that changing any time soon.

ABSOLUTELY!!! :)

Metric is soooooo much easier for everything.

1 atmosphere = 10 meters. 1 Litre of water weighs 1 KG.

OR

1 atmosphere = 33 feet. 1 Cubic foot of water weights 62.43 pounds

It seems humans were made to follow base 10 math in their head easier than base 33. If you don't believe me, count your fingers and toes. :yeahbaby:

If you dive in the Caribbean you will be talking imperial.

Good luck trying to show your buddy or DM how much gas you have in your tank in Bar in the Caribbean or Florida. Despite Metric being easier, Imperial rules pretty much everywhere. Besides, your computer does all your calculations for you any way...

I was brought up in Metric but abandoned it after moving to the US. Never had any reason to regret the move.

Last edited:
Metric is so much easier, especially when doing gas planning/management. However, it will all depend on who you are currently diving with and who you will be diving with in the future. Diving in "mixed" groups can get really confusing and can lead to problems especially when polling everybody how much gas they have left.

If you're planning on doing any training with GUE you will hear the importance of team diving emphasized, down to the placement of various pieces of equipment in your pockets. Choosing to use a system of units unfamiliar to most of your team mates doesn't make a lot of sense in that environment. (I agree that metric is the superior system.)

Last edited:
Forget about SPGs. Get an AI computer and you can switch back and forth between Metric and Imperial at will.

When I dive with my buddy from England, I switch over to Metric. He can't "think" in Imperial units. The rest of the time I have my computers set for Imperial. With a little practice, I don't think it's that hard to go back and forth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom