Should I grab these HP100s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My concern with buying PST tanks would be the fact that since the tanks are no longer made, the company may not be renewing the special permit under which they were manufactured. If that permit is not renewed, then I believe that the method for re-certifying them would no longer be valid. That means that you may not be able to get them Hydro'd again in the future. - Procedures for Application for Approval to Requalify DOT Cylinders | PHMSA This is not an issue for standard 3AA or 3AL stamped tanks. It only applies to high pressure Special Permit tanks

From the above link -

"2. Where applicable, a copy of a current special permit document authorizing the use of a non-DOT specification cylinder. Current copies of special permit documents may be obtained by requesting the specific special permit number (ex: DOT SP-1234) from:
U.S. Department of Transportation
Office of Hazardous Materials Special Permits and Approvals
Records Center PHH-30
U.S. Department of Transportation
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE East Building, 2nd Floor
Washington, DC 20590
Phone: (202) 366-5046
FAX: (202) 366-3753"

That being said, I recently purchased a pair of steel 120 SP tanks that are no longer made. They each had a fresh hydro stamp. I figure that I will get at least another 4 years out of them. I paid $300 for the pair. That's about half the price of a new Faber. For that price, I thought that the risk was worth it.

All my 7/8 valves have a small hole in them. If the valve seat were to fail the pressure would escape there and not by blowing the DIN plug apart. Maybe I’m missing something.
I was originally concerned about the plastic plugs blowing out too. Then I found that my valves have that same little hole that your valves have. My concern then turned to that hole letting salt water in there. A small piece of electrical tape solved that issue. If I do crack the valve by mistake, the tape blows off. I still think that a solid brass plug would be better. I may make one some day.

@PBcatfish Pressed Steel Tank reorganized out of bankruptcy and is still in the business of selling industrial compressed gas cylinders. the special permit renewals are fairly trivial and they are keeping up with them. same situation with worthington. i am not particularly worried.

New diver here and getting tired of renting tanks for local diving. I did some reading here and my impression is that steel is bulletproof as long as it's been hydro'd. Think I should get these? Pricing fair?

Steel 100cff 3500psi Scuba Tanks

It’s a good price considering it has the fresh hydro and VIP and O2 cleaned.

you can get modern thermo 300bar DIN valves if the slant bothers you.

@PBcatfish Pressed Steel Tank reorganized out of bankruptcy and is still in the business of selling industrial compressed gas cylinders. the special permit renewals are fairly trivial and they are keeping up with them. same situation with worthington. i am not particularly worried.
Thank you. That's good news

Same here plus individuals can file a renewal and DOT does not want to deal with 1000’s of individual renewal applicants. 9791 will continue to get extended unless there is an obvious safety issue.

I was originally concerned about the plastic plugs blowing out too. Then I found that my valves have that same little hole that your valves have. My concern then turned to that hole letting salt water in there. A small piece of electrical tape solved that issue. If I do crack the valve by mistake, the tape blows off. I still think that a solid brass plug would be better. I may make one some day.
The tape is doing nothing. Water completely fills the voids in the threads all the way back to the DIN oring as soon as you descend

Don't use a solid brass plug, if the air is turned on with the brass plug inserted it will be almost impossible to remove! DGX has plugs with a pressure relief valve.

DGX HP Sealing DIN Plug w/Pressure Release | Dive Gear Express®

Back
Top Bottom