Should I split 6 nights in Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings all. I am looking at Tulamben and Padangbai in late August. I will have 5-6 nights and am wondering if its better to base out of one area or split between the two. I will be traveling solo with my own gear and am not big into partying but would like decent food and the occasional adult beverage.

From what I've read most sites can be reached from both areas. The one thing that gave me pause was the noise/ferry horns in PB. I am a light sleeper.
I will be coming off of a Komodo live aboard and may do 3 nights in East Sumbawa but Bali is definitely more economical and I gave not dived either area.

Thank you.

The ferry horns are a concern, for sure.

Depends if you want to take a stab at seeing Molla Molla. It's the season, and PB is a great base for it.
After doing Komodo you don't really need to see the reefs of Lembongan. So if your into macro spending all your time in Tulamben isn't a bad idea. There's is sometimes Mola Mola seen in Tulamben.

Is there overlap on the dive sites as far as boat trips? Pre Liveaboard, I’ll be in Lembeh and Bangka so macro is not a must in Bali.
I’m looking for the best overall experience. Bali is more of a bonus since I’ll have extra time before my flight out.

Is there overlap on the dive sites as far as boat trips? Pre Liveaboard, I’ll be in Lembeh and Bangka so macro is not a must in Bali.
I’m looking for the best overall experience. Bali is more of a bonus since I’ll have extra time before my flight out.

Other than mola mola, you'll have had a pretty amazing trip by the time you get to Bali. Perhaps you'd more enjoy sightseeing by then?

Dive sites shouldn't overlap between Tulamben and Padang Bai. It'll be mostly local shore dives at Tulamben. You can do it as a day trip from Padang Bai but you're probably better off staying in Tulamben so you can get more dives in and avoid the crowds. There's good macro at the local sites near Padang Bai and then you can do short boat trips out to Gili Tepekong & Mimpang and over to Penida for Molas. It's about an hour and a half from Tulamben to Padang Bai so you could make the trip in the afternoon and not miss a diving day. I've been to Padang Bai twice and never noticed the ferry horns.

I’m thinking I may base out of PB. OK dive resort looked quite appealing and a good place to get over jetlag.

Yes, it is pretty at OK but for much less you can stay at the equally comfortable, though not quite as pretty Absolute Scuba.

Would highly recommend PB. OK is a beautiful property , but it is nearer the ferries than Absolute Scuba. Also there is a bar nearby that apparently plays music till lateish some evenings and the rooms look as if they are very bright. I have stayed in the bungalows in Absolute Scuba on several occasions and they are very quiet and are darker than the rooms at OK. I also spent some time in LDR which is a beautiful place !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom