Should I try a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I reading this graph correctly. He and the safety diver were decompressing at about 10 ft for about 5 minutes and then both suddenly surfaced simultaneously before the end of the decom period with Stewart on ppO2 of 1atm?
What you are looking at is the shearwater log of a novice (43 CCR dives) trimix diver who did 3 dives to 200ft in one day with his former instructor. On his final bounce dive to unhook the grappling hook, he surfaced with a small remaining deco obligation then lost consciousness and sank back to the bottom and died. The reason for his LOC is not known, but there is no evidence to support hypoxia since his ppO2 was about 1.0 at the time of LOC. Whether Sortis was or was not a safety diver and what that exactly means is part of ongoing litigation.

Well.. blown deco stop by a certified diver. Especially a technical diver doing RB with mixed gas to 200'. Sounds pretty cut and dry to me liability wise..no?

What you are looking at is the shearwater log of a novice (43 CCR dives) trimix diver who did 3 dives to 200ft in one day with his former instructor. On his final bounce dive to unhook the grappling hook, he surfaced with a small remaining deco obligation then lost consciousness and sank back to the bottom and died. The reason for his LOC is not known, but there is no evidence to support hypoxia since his ppO2 was about 1.0 at the time of LOC. Whether Sortis was or was not a safety diver and what that exactly means is part of ongoing litigation.
Maybe I’m a little out of my league here, but the recording shows that the unit was supplying 1 atm of ppO2. That doesn’t necessarily mean that his body was receiving that does it? Mouthpiece fall out, tracheal blockage, pulmonary embolism (blood clot). Has an autopsy been submitted into evidence?

Well.. blown deco stop by a certified diver. Especially a technical diver doing RB with mixed gas to 200'. Sounds pretty cut and dry to me liability wise..no?
So in the grand scheme of things, you really think another ~20-30 seconds at 10ft is the important point here?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

please keep on topic and don't continue to re-analyse Rob Stewart's demise on this thread.

This thread has gone so far away from "should I try a rebreather?". You are so far down the rabbit hole that the arguments aren't even relevant. You are comparing a recreational diver to a cave diver doing a 3 hour trimix dive. Get back on target, someone wanting to look at what else is out there. You can try a rebreather without doing a 200' dive. You can try one in a pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom