Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The octo also is important in case you are unsuccessful using one of the 2 methods to retrieve your "lost" primary. Wish breathing from one's own octo was emphasized more when the reg retrieval skill is taught.
Is it vital for an OOA buddy? It wasn't back in the days when they didn't exist, or when buddy breathing was still taught.
Good point on the “lost” primary as well. I’d get your point on buddy breathing and would be less concerned about an actual OOA “buddy” - I guess I meant useful for the crazed OOA non-buddy who might frantically grab my primary or octo as I’ve heard stories about that :wink:

Good point on the “lost” primary as well. I’d get your point on buddy breathing and would be less concerned about an actual OOA “buddy” - I guess I meant useful for the crazed OOA non-buddy who might frantically grab my primary or octo as I’ve heard stories about that :wink:
Oh yeah I think it's very useful that way too, especially after hearing from most instructors that usually the OOA diver does get wild and garb whatever he sees.

You two seem to think that being competitive swimmers gives you a much better perspective about ANYBODY ever needing a snorkel to swim. I would argue that the exact opposite is true, because not everyone is a strong swimmer, so your perspective doesnt account for this. For some folks a snorkel really helps their swimming.

Snorkel: a gear solution to a skill problem. :yeahbaby:

Snorkel: a gear solution to a skill problem. :yeahbaby:
Agree. But even if you don't have the skill problem a snorkel could come in handy anyway in some situations. It shouldn't be a solution to that skill problem.
I suppose there is a vague analogy to the invention of the LPI, which made the mechanics of diving easier.

Well, we were actually taught to simply turn our hips in their direction and offer the octo for them to grab. Reason being if someone comes up to you OOA typically they won’t be very patient as you described. Best to let them simply take it rather than being forced to wait for you to offer it.

I’m going to be honest and say that if I’m OOA I’m grabbing that octo per training and not waiting for you to figure it out. I might be that crazed diver but I’ll be that alive diver too. Cheers

Stick with what you know and trained to do, discuss and agree with your buddy any out of air, low on air scenarios before you hit the water, even with people you have dived with before, their set up or yours may have changed since the last dive, happens often, long hose, bungy 2nd around neck, air 2, octo not where it was before, pony bottle [you will see that I hope] etc.
simple, but not done enough if at all.
That includes a snorkel as a new diver [if you are trained with one] , after diving for awhile you will work out what is or not required, dive what you know , learn as you go along, don't change too much too soon.

Well, we were actually taught to simply turn our hips in their direction and offer the octo for them to grab. Reason being if someone comes up to you OOA typically they won’t be very patient as you described. Best to let them simply take it rather than being forced to wait for you to offer it.

I’m going to be honest and say that if I’m OOA I’m grabbing that octo per training and not waiting for you to figure it out. I might be that crazed diver but I’ll be that alive diver too. Cheers

This is an argument in favour of primary donate. If the "crazed" OOG diver is going to grab a second stage, odds are it will be the one in your mouth.

Have you not noticed many times in many places even on Scubaboard, this mouth snatching has been refuted

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom