Should TDI Helitrox replace AN+DP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still on the edge between getting AN/DP or AN/Helitrox.
I like the idea of getting the option to add 20% He in my tank if needed, but I don't like the overcost coming with it.
I have contacted few instructors and the minimum additional cost for helium dives during the course is $150 (and up to $250)
At this price, I am wondering if it would not be better to simply get AN/DP then go for Trimix course when I feel ready.
The problem with this is that you end up not having the option of using a little helium in the 100-170ft range. Trimix is a much deeper cert level and not everyone wants to be doing 200ft dives.

$150-250 is basically nothing, if you are balking over that trivial cost then an actual trimix dive is going to make your eyes water

I would do the AN/heliox option then decide how much you even like diving >130ft (on air or mix) with that minimal investment.

Still on the edge between getting AN/DP or AN/Helitrox.
I like the idea of getting the option to add 20% He in my tank if needed, but I don't like the overcost coming with it.
I have contacted few instructors and the minimum additional cost for helium dives during the course is $150 (and up to $250)
At this price, I am wondering if it would not be better to simply get AN/DP then go for Trimix course when I feel ready.

If it's not going to cost you anything more than the fills, do it. Just because you have a Helitrox cert doesn't mean you are required to dive it all the time after, but if you wind up with just a DP cert you can not dive helium on dives you might wish you had it.

The cost of AN/DP or AN/Helitrox is basically the same here in Asia. I've been quoted $640 for the course no matter which one I take.
$150 to $250 is not "trivial", it is 24 to 39% additional cost of the course!
And when you only dive in warm water with usually good visibility, I'm not sure He is that useful, even going down to 45m/150ft...
That is why I am still considering the 2 options, and not closing the door to Helitrox. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom