Should there be a Solo Diving discussion section on this forum?

Should there be a Solo Diving discussion section on this board?

• Yes

Votes: 125 81.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 18.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I fully believe that every diver is responsible and accountable to himself and those near and dear him/her for his safety. Irrespective of social norms and taboos in existence at this time in the dive community, it is up to every diver to determine what risks he deems acceptable for himself. Where, when, and in which type of diving he is willing to take these risks is not for others to decide when it doesn’t involve them. Barring significant evidence demonstrating that solo diving is a form of diving that can not be safely practiced by well trained and equipped divers, the arguments against it become justifiable only as a matter of personal choice. However, many do not present it as such. Instead, they present a general condemnation of solo diving, arguing that it contradicts a basic tenet of safe diving - that it is safer to dive with a buddy. Yet, this claim only holds true under specific circumstances and comparisons - and not universally across the general spectrum of diving. The unjustified stigma created by some leads to a climate where open discussion is obstructed. This actually hinders the creation of avenues that would otherwise become available in a climate of openness and acceptance. One view, even when paved with good intentions, obstructs dissemination of information, the learning process, and safe avenues in which to learn and practice. The other view tends to make available the information, courses, and community avenues necessary to increase safety. Demand for such will prosper to a greater extent without obstruction, not currently the case. With increased demand, the old barriers will be broken down. I think this is happening now.

New divers are taught to never dive beyond their abilities. To never enter an overhead environment or engage in mandatory decompression diving without a minimum of experience, proper training and equipment. They are told that once they gain experience in open water diving, there are courses available to safely train them to engage in cave, wreck, and deep diving. Yet, when it comes to solo, they are mostly told to never engage in it or it is simply not mentioned. Nonetheless, many totally unprepared recreational divers practice it.

I believe it would be an asset to the dive community, and specifically to the members of this forum, to have available a board category for the discussion of Solo Diving. Just like those so many others have, including cave and wreck diving. A sub category of technical diving for solo diving would be most appropriate. This would foster a climate for an open discussion of ideas for those who practice this type of diving. It would also offer a source, that would hopefully provide more balanced information, to those interested in this type of diving. An open discussion of the risks and rewards of solo diving, without the stigma, may likely result in increasing safety for this type of diving. It will warn some away from it. Inform others on how to safely approach it. And enhance the understanding and practices of those partaking in solo diving through information sharing.

There is always the fact that some will misuse and mis-apply information. As well the fact some will present a limited and biased perspective as though it were the whole. This takes place on every topic here. The more others are encouraged to openly present their points of view for critical review on a subject, the more comprehensive a specific and overall understanding of it becomes for most.

I see the creation of a Solo Diving discussion area as a net positive development.

What do you think and why?

I think it would be great to be able to discuss both the gear and the attitudes of solo, especially in a setting where the concept itself is not under debate and there is a declaration that we are not trying to instruct or convert anyone.

I'm game to contribute and to learn. I'm especially interested in the psychology of it--I'm sure there are many different mindsets and mental states within the ranks of solo. I suspect that many solos are more contemplative than average.

I speak as one who has soloed and does so with his wife's approval.

-Bryan

Seems like a good idea to me. Some will solo dive regardless of group approval therefore any discussion which could lead to improved safety for those who do dive alone should be welcome.

phil

if there are two subjects that cause tempers to flair and smart a** answers...it is solo diving and pony bottles.
god what would happen if we combined the two.???

I don't see what there would be to discuss :06: beyond redundancy of some equipment and gas.

Redundant gas supply seems to come in two main flavors; doubles or pony bottles. Advocates for each would bash away about which is best and in the end there will still be two main choices--doubles or pony bottle. For all the rest there are rebreathers. :wink:

I think it would be a good idea, debate is always good and I think that most dive agencies have for too long pushed the idea down people's throats that solo diving is inherently dangerous.

DORSETBOY:
snip.........that solo diving is inherently dangerous.
Diving is IMO inherently dangerous - solo diving is more so. Does that mean you shouldn't do it? I don't think so - but I'd be a fool to do something inherently dangerous without realizing the risks. It definitely becomes a different ballgame at depths any greater than where you can make a CESA - if you can always make the ascent then the surface is a very good redundant air source!

As to wether there should be a seperate forum for it....... it would probably cause more arguments than discussion.

I think it would be nice to have a dedicated solo diving forum and it would be consistent with what was done with DIR to prevent non-DIR approving members form constantly interjecting debate and dissention into DIR discussions.

It would be very useful to have a forum where the finer points of solo diving attitude, equipment and configuration could be discussed without having to have half the posts in a given thread be from non-solo divers commenting on how solo diving is not safe, should never be done, etc.

Saftey is a relative thing in scuba, and while it is now socially acceptable in the diving community to assume a measurably greater risk by penetrating wrecks and caves, it is not acceptable in most divers view of the world to assume the far smaller risks of diving solo. A dedicated forum would help keep those divers out of the discussion and would help keep the threads focused on the issues that should be discussed and that would be useful to solo diving members.

Probably a good idea, controversial topic that can degenerate into flame wars and mud slinging so just like the DIR forum (equally controversial a topic) give it its own forum with special rules to allow for the discussion of it and implementation without blanket "dont do it" type flames.

I believe that PADI has speciality in solo diving, I'm not sure of this. My opinion is that this forum should be in the place of tech-diving because passing the limit of the recreational diving, I think that the buddy is just for the company and there is nothing that the buddy can do in case of any emergancies. I'm not certified as tech-diver, but this is my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom