Should we get pony bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with my wife and she's my 90% buddy. The other 10% I'm solo. We both carry pony's like its a religion (even in the pool! haha)....and I stick to her like glue when we're diving.

Whatever the OP does, I'd only say, settle on a rig set-up and whatever procedures discipline and train train train that way. Spending time trying to noodle out where you put something on your gear this time (or even if you have it with you), is not the way to successfully manage an emergency. YMMV.

I agree with that. If the decision is to dive with a pony, then make a point to ALWAYS dive with the pony and train yourself to use the pony without having to give it a second thought. A consideration for me is that I suspect I might become lazy and leave a pony behind on seemingly "easy" dives. I do a lot of travel diving.

I agree with that. If the decision is to dive with a pony, then make a point to ALWAYS dive with the pony and train yourself to use the pony without having to give it a second thought. A consideration for me is that I suspect I might become lazy and leave a pony behind on seemingly "easy" dives. I do a lot of travel diving.

I probably use a pony on 50% of my cold water dives and never during tropical trips. I don't think it's a big deal to switch back and forth. On the days I use it I "remind" myself it's an available option. I sometimes sling it and sometimes tank mount it. If I tank mount it I always feel for it's second stage on on right hip to "remind" me where it is.

I know some people believe in diving a consistent kit. I alter things according to the dive. Drysuit in cold water, 3 mm in warm, the other changes are minor compared to making that one.

My current thinking is go with one solution to an OOA situation and train until utilizing that solution becomes reflexive. I'm leaning toward the gas planning and buddy solution rather than a pony, since 95% of the time I dive with the same, reliable buddy--my wife."

That is how I see it too. However in my case using the same pony system is more knowable, reliable and controllable than the many different buddies and equipment configurations I encounter. While I completely respect your choice, choosing the buddies gas comes with many unknowns for most divers:

Unknown buddy
Unknown buddy response
Unknown equipment configuration
Unknown maintenance
Unknown distance from source when event occurs
Unknown amount of gas when event occurs

Some (like you) may counter that they only dive with known buddies/configurations to alleviate those unknowns (which is a perfectly valid strategy) but I would say that this pathway isn't that liberating - in fact it can be, in some cases (as when like minded divers are not present) severely self limiting.

It also limits (in ordinary circumstances) equipment choices and the variety of people you can dive with. After all, you can only dive with people who meet those criterion, when they are available, and want to do the same dives you want to do. I would question whether recreational diving warrants that degree of confinement.

Now look at a pony:

Regardless of buddy or configuration:
Known equipment
Known maintenance
Known response (muscle memory)
Known distance from source when event occurs
Known amount of gas when event occurs

To me, these are the keys to a dependable bailout strategy. Close to the diver, known to the diver, controlled by the diver. One may (should) depend on strong buddy/team skills for the ordinary operational nature of a dive but emergency bailout doesn't also have to be dependent on this approach.

I would say that in a known, trusted buddy team, using their gas for bailout is viable, but even in the best of circumstances there is still an unknown element; primarily the distance between divers when an event occurs. Unless you tie a rope to each other this cannot be said to be a given.

The objection that someone might see a dive as being benign enough to leave the pony behind is as valid as someone seeing a dive as being benign enough to compromise on the "known buddy/configuration" strategy. Both are possible.

As a vacation diver, what would happen if your primary buddy got sick at the start of the holiday. Would neither dive or would the known buddy system be compromised. What would be easier, packing a pony or re-selecting a known, dependable partner from the available vacation buddy pool.

Last edited:
One other thing in my scenario.. Yes I always dive with my wife and we are constantly improving being buddys, and this will be that way regardless of ponies... I dont want to be a good buddy simply because of a redundant air source.. There are many other things that can go wrong beside OOA...

We are not "vacation divers".. But still, as said above, there may be a time when I can't dive with my wife (when she's pregnant)... And she has repeatedly told me I should still be able to dive even if she can't, she knows how much I love it...

What are my options then? I will then be diving with random buddies or no buddies at all... This is where being proficient with a pony bottle will come in very handy... And why my decision after all everyone's contributions were still toward ponies at some point... But still mastering buddy skills

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920

Buddy skills and ponies are not mutually exclusive. You could look at doubles too. Same idea for redundancy, but typically a bigger package.

Buddy skills and ponies are not mutually exclusive. You could look at doubles too. Same idea for redundancy, but typically a bigger package.

This is however a never ending evolution. First a pony, then doubles, then doubles with a deco bottle, followed by doubles with multiple stages... Etc. not a cheap sport as if we didn't already know.:wink:

A pony bottle filled last month is a lovely thing to have when you realize there's something wrong with the latest fill (CO)

Totally agree. Love ponys but one caveat here: If you dive with a pony, make it a part of your bubble check to pressurize it and check it good.... Then make it part of your descent check to breathe from it before you continue your descent. The second stage's diaphragm on some regs can get kinked or dislodged when you sling a pony and splash with it... You don't want to deploy your pony in an emergency and get a spray of water with every breath...

All these checks will probably mean you lose 5-10 bar of gas out of a 40 cu ft pony each dive. In a week where I do 20 dives the pony will start with 200 bar on Monday and by the weekend I am down to 140 bar and need a refill.

All these checks will probably mean you lose 5-10 bar of gas out of a 40 cu ft pony each dive. In a week where I do 20 dives the pony will start with 200 bar on Monday and by the weekend I am down to 140 bar and need a refill.

A lot of places will top off a pony for free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom