Should we get pony bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't turn this into a solo diving discussion. God knows that argument has been had all over this board and it can't be won. I will say that even when I dive with someone else, I don't look at them as my savior if something goes wrong. I prefer to be as self sufficient as I can possibly be. If I have a real problem, and running out of gas isn't a problem for me, I would prefer to think I can deal with it and not have to put my buddy into a situation that elevates his risk as well. Can I plan for everything? No, I can't. But the things I can, I will deal with on my own.

As this is the advanced diving forum I'll say that the perfect buddy may be the ideal but reality has a way of changing things.

Honestly, it's just a little tank of air, not plutonium. There is nothing wrong with wanting a redundant air source you control rather than one someone else controls. The level of trust one has in a buddy depends on how long and well you know them and whether they have demonstrated their capacities in a stressed situation. If someone can take a canlight, 7' hose or argon on a recreational dive I see no reason to suggest a pony is any more unnecessary.

I personally like having a redundant air source for dives deeper than I am capable of reasonably CESAing from and am comfortable advocating the same to others. It doesn't mean I don't also advocate good buddy skills if that's the way you want to dive. I'm comfortable because I'm pretty sure no one is going to die from carrying a small bottle. However, those who advocate not taking a bottle make a big assumption when they blindly suggest people trust their buddies without knowing the skill level or commitment that those buddies have. That is something I am not comfortable doing.

... However, those who advocate not taking a bottle make a big assumption when they blindly suggest people trust their buddies without knowing the skill level or commitment that those buddies have. That is something I am not comfortable doing.

DaleC - I wish there were double or tripple likes.

As a new diver but past the stage of being completely useless I am at the stage at looking for an alternate air supply. I have a good buddies/buddies but on the occasions where I dive somewhere else with a renta buddy every time I find too many occasions I am by myself for long enough to think about this topic. On 4 occasions I have been abandoned.

Whilst this doesn't worry me it does take away from my enjoyment. So I have looked at side mount, twin tanks and a pony. At this stage a Pony sounds like the easiest and cheapest option for me.

The only thing I can add is my Instructor told me make sure it can be cut off so use rope to connect the shackles. maniago's link looks perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom