Should we put fork in DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just take this as a lesson. You were/are whining. Everyone with a DSS wing is unhappy about DSS being shut down. I get. Everyone gets it. (Whining: complain in a peevish, self-pitying way. Urbandictionary: whining is a total buzzkill.)

But there is nothing useful to be gained by complaining to other divers about it. Stick to constructive discussion, such as the diver who recommended using Aquaseal on holes or the diver who pointed out VDH wings fit DSS plates. That's the way to go about it. Cheers!

Actually, this thread started as an inquiry as to whether DSS was coming back. I was hoping they were.

I should point out that I am very happy with my DSS wing. It works great. The quality is excellent. The fact that DSS is out of business, after having promised to restart, is disappointing. That's not a whine, it is a fact.

I think there is a place for constructive discussion of how those of us with DSS gear can make the most of it.

But the Scubaboard Community was quick to recommend DSS gear in the past and has been highly supportive of other boutique brands, among them HOG, VDH, the Freedom backplate, and Deep 6. I think it is fair to draw comparisons as these are similarly small operations and just as little is known about their future as was known with DSS. The situation with DSS makes it clear that ongoing service, parts, and support are not a given for any boutique maker. And I think that the Scubaboard Community should keep that in mind before steering people towards these brands.
I have big company gear in a box. I demand that Dacor and AMF service my regulators! Where’s my Conshelf factory certified serviceman?

I think there is a place for constructive discussion of how those of us with DSS gear can make the most of it.

But the Scubaboard Community was quick to recommend DSS gear in the past and has been highly supportive of other boutique brands, among them HOG, VDH, the Freedom backplate, and Deep 6. I think it is fair to draw comparisons as these are similarly small operations and just as little is known about their future as was known with DSS. The situation with DSS makes it clear that ongoing service, parts, and support are not a given for any boutique maker. And I think that the Scubaboard Community should keep that in mind before steering people towards these brands.

The issue you mention is not just akin to boutique brands...anyone recall Dacor?

And it is not just an issue at the brand/company level...the ScubaPro Mk15 is an example.

Companies come and go. Designs change too. The expectation that gear will last and be supported in perpetuity is unrealistic (not implying that you have this expectation).

Perhaps folks who bought DSS gear later in the game feel the sting a bit sharper than those who purchased this brand earlier on....buying from a small company has risks.

This reminds me of a line from the film Fever Pitch:
"You love the Sox, but have they ever loved you back?"

-Z

I've had my DSS gear for many years. Eons ago I dropped by the shop to get my wing repaired after I snagged the nylon part of the wing from a wreck dive overseas. No charge. Those were the days.

Looking to replace a cracked inflator hose - anyone know if this is available for purchase somewhere?

Just got back from Cozumel, and realized my inflator hose was cracked (due to dry rot?) close to where it's zip-tied to the elbow that attaches to the wing. Luckily, we got it repaired enough to dive with it for the rest of the trip (1/2" PVC with a hose clamp!).

I figured DSS purchased this hose from some sort of wholesale dive equipment company.

All you need is the length and Dive Right In Scuba can get one to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom