Should we put fork in DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The elbow that the PVC is attached to also seems to be a standard dimension elbow.

It's not.

I tried to use a standard one from DGX to replace the pull dump the previous owner of my wing had installed. Elbow wouldn't seal. Sanded it down with a pad sander. Still wouldn't seal. Sent it to Tobin. Tobin said some idiot put on the wrong elbow, then sent it back with a new elbow and charged me $20 or something.

BC fittings vary. In the immortal words of Dr. Andrew S. Tanenbaum, "The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."

I should have been clearer: the entire *elbow* is not standard. We already knew that from when he tried swapping it with his wife's (and now the DGX one). Fortunately, the custom elbow ends in the standard 1" OD tube which will accept a standard *hose*, which he has used.

And I love the Tanenbam quote. (My second favorite is 'never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon filled with tapes hurtling down the highway'. Substitute "SUV" and "USB sticks" and it's *just* as fitting today.)

I should have been clearer: the entire *elbow* is not standard. We already knew that from when he tried swapping it with his wife's (and now the DGX one). Fortunately, the custom elbow ends in the standard 1" OD tube which will accept a standard *hose*, which he has used.

And I love the Tanenbam quote. (My second favorite is 'never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon filled with tapes hurtling down the highway'. Substitute "SUV" and "USB sticks" and it's *just* as fitting today.)

“Fitting”. Very funny.

I think it's 3 part
If so, then you might be able to just swap the whole assembly < $20.

Limit would be the size of the hole in the cover i.e. - can the flange on the stem portion be squeezed into place through the cover and into the bladder? On zippered wings you only need to pop the stem flange through bladder, then just the stem and gasket through the cover.

Just a follow up - got the 1" hose from DiveGearExpress and it fits perfect, so that's good.

I also ordered up an OMS elbow assembly (as back up parts) and the elbow is fine with the octagonal (?) end flange, but I think the threads on the collar are more coarse than the DSS collar. I'll double check later, but I did not want to force it for fear of jacking up the threads.

Thanks for all your help. I'm back in business!

OMS is non-standard and uses coarse threads, same as Deep6. DSS and most everyone else use fine threads. I actually prefer the coarse threads, but the fine threads are more common

Does aqualung, Scubapro, Oceanic and the like support wing/bladder repairs?
Diverite does. I replaced the bladder in my diverite wing a couple years ago. $99 delivered for the replacement bladder and it took about 5 minutes to install. I ordered it from my LDS but you might be able to find them on the diverite site.

I've also got a VDH Argonaut wing for use with my freedom plates. It has a zipper and so appears to have a replaceable bladder, I've not yet inquired about bladder prices. Argonaut and Freedom Plate are a couple of those boutique brands.. maybe I should see about getting a replacement bladder just to have in my bag of spares.

I think replaceable is pretty common, although not every wing has this feature.

Need some help with a dss setup. Seller says it has never been in the water. He says it measures 15"x10.5". What are your thoughts about buying it since it looks like dss is done?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210129-195840_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-195840_OfferUp.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot_20210129-195831_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-195831_OfferUp.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 131
Backplate and 17# wing. They're nice but not big enough for 7mm wetsuits or 120 cf cylinders. Looks like everything is there. It's probably fine, but you pays your money and takes your chances.

Back
Top Bottom