Should we take the barnacle off the turtle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have deleted a number of unfriendly (if not downright nasty) and/or off-topic comments. All of you - if you can't say something constructive in a polite and friendly manner, then step away from the keyboard.

..snip..
Whatever fairy world you live in, the turtle will not understand that you're trying to get a barnacle of its shell. It'll just think that you're attacking it.
..snip..

The turtles from which I've removed barnacles seem to understand that our intention was to help. Here's one photo of my wife alongside one turtle that was rubbing its shell under the ironwork of a wreck - it was completely unbothered by the presence of divers and when we started chipping off the barnacle it was trying to remove it stayed quite still without any effort on our part.

DSC00148_Ros&part-tart.jpg

Here is the response from FWC... seems pretty definitive:

Response Via Email (HSC-BA)09/27/2012 10:30 AM
No. FWC does not recommend anyone try to remove a barnacle from a sea turtle in the wild. This could be considered harassment, as well as a violation under state and federal law. There is a species of barnacle that occurs primarily on sea turtles - it is not thought that the barnacles cause harm (depending on location on the animal).

It says "could be" considered harassment. Considering the penalties involved would you really want to risk it?

No. FWC does not recommend anyone try to remove a barnacle from a sea turtle in the wild. This could be considered harassment, as well as a violation under state and federal law. There is a species of barnacle that occurs primarily on sea turtles - it is not thought that the barnacles cause harm (depending on location on the animal).

It says "could be" considered harassment. Considering the penalties involved would you really want to risk it?

Right. So touching a turtle is not a felony. And the answer is "it depends..."

Bill Clinton - Is that you?

He's like an excited/stubborn first year law student (albeit one that's going to round out the back end of the curve). It's sort of cute, really.

Well, I think I would consider the response to read that it COULD be a felony. If I were to see I sea turtle that were in obvious distress (fishing line entanglement for example) I would help it and take my chances. Other than that I would not approach a sea turtle.

That is what *I* would do.

I will not, however, make any recommendations as to what *YOU* should do.

The problem with 'it depends' in this context is that you have a series of people who will be making that call-The law officer, a DA, a judge, perhaps a jury. At any point they could say-"You're right-it wasn't harassment" but it sounds costly and ill-advised. Still, you come across as you really, really want to touch a turtle-I recommend sea world.

Wow- it's in black and white and you've still got your rose coloured glasses on.

"We don't recommend trying to remove the barnacle. It could be considered harassment, as well as a violation under state and federal law". Somehow you translate this as 'touching is not a felony'.

Mutter mutter.... Never try to teach a pig to sing.... mutter mumble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom