Shoutout to Sea Saba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abernat

Contributor
Reaction score
We signed up with Sea Saba and Queen’s Gardens for our fifth dive trip to Saba. And that’s when things went weird. We paid the package cost. And then the trip was postponed four times (two for medical and two for hurricanes). To be clear Sea Saba and Queen’s Gardens were well within their rights to cancel our package and retain the payments. Their policies are clear and none of the postponements was their fault or responsibility.

But Lynn at Sea Saba instead checked with Queen’s Gardens and allowed us to postpone the trip. Not once but four times total. Each time we proposed a hoped-for date, she checked on availability and gave us the okay.

So a great big shout out to Sea Saba and Queen’s Gardens for going way beyond on our behalf.

We did finally make it to Saba and had two wonderful dives on The Needle and on Man O’War Shoals. Best visibility of any of our trips. Watched a Queen Triggerfish building a nest.

And then the wind came up and the seas got rough. Due to the aforementioned medical issues, we decided not to dive in rough seas. Unfortunately the wind continued through the rest of our time on Saba. Again not Sea Saba’s fault or responsibility. But they gave us vouchers for four days of diving which we can use on a return trip anyway.

So another great big shout out to Sea Saba.

Andy

We really enjoyed the hiking. In the past, climbing the stairs to Mt. Scenery was all we had done but more hiking in the rain forest was always of interest - just not enough to come before diving. We did 4 longish hikes. They are basically up and down through rain forest. In places they've placed ropes to help you up and down (not technical, more like railings). I highly recommend getting dropped off in Hells Gate and doing the Elfin Forest Trail and then down to Windwardside or the Bottom. The trail is not on most maps yet and is unfinished at the top of Mt. Scenery but is clear enough to follow.

Andy

Nice shout out. Sea Saba is a great op.

How's topside Saba looking? I wasn't sure how it was post-hurricane. I've heard mixed reports. I'm glad to hear the viz was good and the sites looked healthy. Man O War Shoals is probably my favorite dive site in the Caribbean. We are hoping to go back at some point!

We thought it was in good shape. Everything had recently greened up; previously apparently all leaves had been stripped. The Elfin Rain Forest was in reasonable shape, i.e., as it has been recently not what it was before the hurricane years ago that devastated it.

Man O'War Shoals was awesome. Our favorite is The Needle - the viz was so good we could see the bottom as we swam to it. In the past it's always been a pure blue swim.

Lynn at Sea Saba and Claire at Queen's Gardens can always be counted on to go the extra mile and make sure you are treated like royalty.

Saba has completely recovered after last fall's two hurricanes. When we were there in November, you could really see that the vegetation had been stripped, but when we were there in May, everything had recovered. The only thing Saba needs right now are tourists. So many people cancelled because of uncertainty over air connections through St Maarten that the businesses are hurting.

In May, the viz wasn't the best, but there was incredible juvenile life on the reefs. Tiny juvenile spotted drums were everywhere and I saw the smallest juvenile smooth trunk fish I'd ever seen -- about the size of a large pea. I also saw an ocean surgeonfish that was about 1.5 inches long. That time of year must be right around spawning season. Amazing!

Thanks LarryHinHC for the update on Saba! I had someone tell me in May that they had recently called a travel agent to plan a trip to Saba this summer and was told that the island is discouraging visitors because it isn't in a position to accommodate tourists. The travel agent also told him that he could book through Sea Saba but that they'd end up rebooking him onto a liveaboard because there wasn't a way to launch boats from the dock. I thought all of this was odd and don't know which travel agent it was, but I was hoping it was inaccurate because I'd like to go back soon. I will be sure to spread the word that the island is up and running.

Thanks LarryHinHC for the update on Saba! I had someone tell me in May that they had recently called a travel agent to plan a trip to Saba this summer and was told that the island is discouraging visitors because it isn't in a position to accommodate tourists. The travel agent also told him that he could book through Sea Saba but that they'd end up rebooking him onto a liveaboard because there wasn't a way to launch boats from the dock. I thought all of this was odd and don't know which travel agent it was, but I was hoping it was inaccurate because I'd like to go back soon. I will be sure to spread the word that the island is up and running.

That's really odd. Sea Saba has both boats in the water and was usually full while we were there. There is no problem with accommodations on Saba. All the hotels in Windwardside are open (Julianna's, Cottage Club, Scouts), as is Queen's Gardens in the bottom and there are always plenty of cottages:wink:

The only thing slowing things down for tourism is that Win Air is only running 3 flights a day, and they are always full. Besides them, only one ferry is running, so getting to and from Saba is the challenge. But once you're there, all is well. The food is still great, and many places are now featuring lionfish on the menu!

Well I booked through Sea Saba for this coming December. Winair had seats available. We are staying at Julianas. So hopefully there is a runway to land on and a dock to sail from :wink:

We were just at Queens Gardens and used Sea Saba with no issues. Lynn and Claire were marvelous, and don't miss Duco's Gin-and-Tonics......world class!

Back
Top Bottom