Show me your Nice Knife! Vintage BFKs welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the pics! I was thinking about the whole tiny DIR knife thing and wondering where it came from or what the rationale was. Yes, a knife strapped your leg can catch on something, and it is better to wear it inside rather than outside the calf in kelp. But a big knife really can do many things a small one can’t. Finally it occurred to me that like not having a snorkel, the little knife might’ve come from cave diving: not a lot of shells to pry, fish to dispatch, nets or big ropes in caves. I think sometimes people adopt something because it is cool and “technical”, forgetting the origins, which might not apply to their type of diving.

How is this attached to your shoulder webbing?
It’s easy, the rigging knife has a hole in it, I tied a bungee loop through with a figure eight knot tying the ends together. The loop is passed behind the harness webbing and snapped forward over the other side of the folded knife, trapping it against the harness. The bungee must be the correct length. The knot is easy to grab and the knife then comes loose and you are holding its bungee.

A rigging knife is for sailors, made to cut rope, harness and so forth.

A lot of knives are more for stabbing or cutting on hard surface.

we have one commercial manufacturer, small company, who produce fish hunting equipment. Pelengas their name.
And they have very good relations and feedback with fish hunters over different diving and fish hunting forums.
And after long discussions they put in mass production this knife:
Нож Пеленгас Волга
View attachment 479810
it was made specially for fish hunters.

most interesting for this knife is it clamping in the scabbard
View attachment 479811
MAGNETS! :)

Magnets? What's the blade made from? By "fish hunters" do you mean with a fishing pole or a speargun?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom