Shuttles from airport - any changes due to COVID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone saying that we should be masking in our homes? I certainly don't and I don't know f anyone who does.

ggunn, You selectively quoted a snip from my full post in your response: "They'll wear masks when and where they are legally forced and there is law enforcement to enforce it but once back in their homes" and you chose not to include the remainder of than sentence that said "...and hoods the masks come off, people are socializing and drinking and doing as they please with little concern for COVID from what I've heard."

ggunn, at this point your opinions don't matter as you are obviously self quarantining for the duration until a vaccine makes its way down the food chain to you. You are probably retired and happy and have no desire or need to travel anywhere. So, stay put and happy and hunkered down in your home in Austin, TX. That's your decision and if it makes you feel safe so be it. Myself and others have a different opinion and we chose to take all precautions necessary and keep on living our lives as best we can which includes travel to Coz and elsewhere. Everyone's gonna die sometime for all sorts of reasons and COVID is only one of them. Hide from COVID all ya want but even if you hide from it probability is you'll die from something else in the next 12 months if the bell decides to ring for you.

So me and the wife aren't going anywhere for a while -- we have our first trip tentatively scheduled for September 2021, assuming the vaccines are in widespread distribution and the pandemic has been been wrestled to the ground by then. I figure we have about a 50/50 chance of that trip happening (everything I'm booking is fully cancelable and refundable). That trip is not to Cozumel, it'll be a non-diving trip and we're headed for someplace we figure has managed the pandemic well.

But, last night we were talking about the next trip after that. We both agreed a dive trip would be ideal, early in 2022. I suggested Cozumel (we like going in February), but she was somewhat reluctant, being unconvinced that Cozumel (and all of Mexico) could be "trusted" for pandemic control. Reading this thread will surely confirm her worst fears.

The idiots running the airport shuttles will do way more damage to their business by cramming in people in an unsafe and irresponsible way. Take the virus seriously, treat my life with some respect, be responsible for stopping the pandemic, and we will come sooner. So will others. Be stupid and irresponsible, cram people together in violation of the law and any common sense, and we will go somewhere else where we feel our lives are valued. I don't need Cozumel that much.

Please tell the brilliant shuttle drivers cramming in people shoulder-to-shoulder that maybe we'll see them in 2023. Maybe.

One thing to watch in the future is how widely vaccines are actually taken by the population.

Mexico actually does a pretty good job of laying down the law when it comes to natural disasters and even the Covid crisis. (EDIT Ferry and Taxi unions aside). Curfews/shutdowns/stopping alcohols sales etc. That may or may not translate over to getting a high percentage of the population to take the vaccine (I really don’t know ).

While as I have said before I expect Mexico behind the US in vaccine distribution—it wouldn’t surprise me if 12 months from now Mexico has a higher percentage of people vaccinated than the US. We may have a bunch of people in the US fighting tooth and nail against the vaccine while people in Mexico just line up and take it. Once again, not saying that will happen, but it might. Something to watch in 2021.

Just another reason to head south of the border :wink:

ggunn, You selectively quoted a snip from my full post in your response: "They'll wear masks when and where they are legally forced and there is law enforcement to enforce it but once back in their homes" and you chose not to include the remainder of than sentence that said "...and hoods the masks come off, people are socializing and drinking and doing as they please with little concern for COVID from what I've heard."

ggunn, at this point your opinions don't matter as you are obviously self quarantining for the duration until a vaccine makes its way down the food chain to you. You are probably retired and happy and have no desire or need to travel anywhere. So, stay put and happy and hunkered down in your home in Austin, TX. That's your decision and if it makes you feel safe so be it. Myself and others have a different opinion and we chose to take all precautions necessary and keep on living our lives as best we can which includes travel to Coz and elsewhere. Everyone's gonna die sometime for all sorts of reasons and COVID is only one of them. Hide from COVID all ya want but even if you hide from it probability is you'll die from something else in the next 12 months if the bell decides to ring for you.
You know absolutely nothing about me, my risk tolerance, or what the measures I take to avoid getting infected in the pandemic. That my opinions don't matter to you has no bearing on whether or not they matter to anyone else. Ah, well, welcome to my ignore list.

While as I have said before I expect Mexico behind the US in vaccine distribution—it wouldn’t surprise me if 12 months from now Mexico has a higher percentage of people vaccinated than the US. We may have a bunch of people in the US fighting tooth and nail against the vaccine while people in Mexico just line up and take it. Once again, not saying that will happen, but it might. Something to watch in 2021.

Yeah, unfortunately many Americans have for one reason or another gone nutty over vaccinations. A latest CNN poll determined that slightly over 50% of the US population would refuse to get a COVID vaccination when available. We also have parents who now who refuse to get their children vaccinated for diseases that the developed world has been commonly vaccinating against for 50+ years. There are now kids whose parents refused to get them vaccinated lining up for all of the vaccines they missed as soon as they turn 18 and are legally able to make their own medical decisions.

All of this is crazy to me when I consider the vaccination acceptance rate of populations of other developed countries. What about the populations of 3rd world countries who would love to have access to the vaccines we have access to but they don't so there are international charities that travel the world to remote areas and vaccinate for free (and everyone shows up to get vaccinated). It's all very odd behavior by Americans and I don't know where this all started other than perhaps social media that started conspiracy theory claims that vaccines cause disorders of all kinds in children while there is absolutely no scientific evidence to support that hypothesis.

I'd be the 1st in line for any COVID vaccination as soon as one is available for me but as I'm not a first responder or over 60 and have no underlying health conditions that place me in a high risk group I'll be waiting a long, long time. My guess is perhaps late 2021 by the time a dose is available for me. On a positive note, with 50%+ of the US population expected to refuse vaccination against COVID, the rest of us who welcome it will get vaccinated that much sooner.

Yeah. I was more bothered by the ticket agent lying to me.
"Lying" implies malicious intent; I think it could be that the agent was telling you the guideline but didn't know what the drivers were doing outside. If the drivers are paid by the number of tickets they collect they may be simply ignoring the guideline. Occam's razor.

"Lying" implies malicious intent; I think it could be that the agent was telling you the guideline but didn't know what the drivers were doing outside. If the drivers are paid by the number of tickets they collect they may be simply ignoring the guideline. Occam's razor.
Valid point. But her lack of concern about what the driver was doing made me judge her as having intent. Which is harsh. Plus her quick desire to upsell me also lost her the benefit of the doubt.

Am I reading this correctly? There are shuttles and taxis from the airport. The shuttles don't seem to be practicing the 50% rules. Taxies cost extra from the airport, but you can walk a few hundred yards down the road and catch one for ~$10? I don't mind paying a bit extra from the airport, but 4 times as much is way too much.

That’s what we’ve been doing for several years. Walk out of the airport and down the driveway.But you then NEED to cross the street and have tacos at Diego’s. Then your vacation officially starts!!

very easy to get a cab there for just your party. Who knew that this would actually be the safer way to go?

There are ONLY shuttles allowed on the airport . If you want a taxi you have to walk off the property, haul your luggage and get a cab

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom