Side mount for rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soggybadger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi. I'm about to take the padi rescue course and normally dive with a side mount rig. Would I be better off to use this or backmount for the course? Also does anyone have any advice or tips for rescue with side mount? Thanks.

I would say talk to your instructor but I definitely recommend to train as you dive.
If you will rescue someone someday you will do it as you dive. May as well learn that way.

No advise on Sm rescue but be attentive as to what is happening and don’t rush. Take a moment to evaluate before jumping in action

It’s useful for people to see and work with a range of gear.

But don’t surprise the instructor.

Agree with above, I’d prefer to train in what I Dive most often but it could throw your instructor for a loop. I’ve yet to teach a rescue course in SM so as someone who dives SM a lot I’d really have to think a lot about teaching it in SM

I’d say train the way you are going to dive. Your task as the rescuer will be to remove gear from the simulated victim and perform rescue breaths while you transport the simulated victim to shore. And, you need to be able to control the situation if the simulated victim ‘wakes up’ and wants to use you as a paddle board back to shore. Of course the instructor is responsible for keeping everyone safe. If there is doubt in the instructor’s mind about overall safety, a traditional rig may be specified. I sidemount about 80% of dives. This discussion has made me think about my response in a rescue situation with sidemount. I may have to practice some skills.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking I would side mount a couple of sevens and make it easier for myself but I will talk to the instructor first and go with whatever they prefer. As suggested I was going to train as I dive.

Off the top of my head, the only skill which is really equipment dependant is "Unresponsive diver at the surface" where you de-kit them while giving rescue breaths and towing them.

I prefer my students to master the skill with the victim in a conventional BCD. Releasing the kit is only part of the skill, teh more important part is correctly supporting the victim while administering breaths

Once teh mechanics of the skill is mastered, I will (depending on my students) have a victim in a wing (with comfort harness) and a SM rig, sometime I also get my hands on a set of twins. I'll also rig up a one piece webbing rig so they can practice cutting it.

For the most part Rescue isn't about diving is a set gear config. The knowledge you learn and skills you practice aren't gear critical, being able to provide rescue breaths correctly is way more important than being able to smoothly remove someone's gear.

But sure you can do it in SM - as others have said let your instructor know. Remember your instructor may not have seen or used SM so you might have to "teach them" about it a little

I have been diving only sidemount since I completed the course this past April in Florida. I came back to Missouri and took another couple SSI courses, one of which was navigation. I showed up in sidemount at the lake for the checkout dives and the instructor asked if I had a standard backmount rig with me....I didn't. He didn't seem happy but let me complete that course in sidemount. They don't see a lot of it in Missouri.

I had signed up for the Stress & Rescue course and asked ahead of time if I could do it in my sidemount rig. I was told no. So it will most likely depend on your instructor and what area of the world you do it in. I know if I did the course in cave country Florida they wouldn't bat an eye.

Did my first rescue course in sidemount the other day, everyone in sidemount. there are some skills that a back mount BCD is needed so the students can master the skills but else it's all easy and fun. When letting students realistically practice dropping their own and student gear, In sidemount they just clip of the tanks to a nearby float and keep the harness, making towing much easier. Some of the surface skills thought are a little harder or require rethinking the skill a little.

But all in all rescue in sidemount was not as hard to teach as you'd imagine we did most of it with 2 tanks, however for surface skills, we dropped one, else it was very demanding and would require spreading the course over more dives.

Would love to hear about any results others have had.

I have been diving only sidemount since I completed the course this past April in Florida. I came back to Missouri and took another couple SSI courses, one of which was navigation. I showed up in sidemount at the lake for the checkout dives and the instructor asked if I had a standard backmount rig with me....I didn't. He didn't seem happy but let me complete that course in sidemount. They don't see a lot of it in Missouri.

My standard caveat, I'm new. Generally no business judging an instructor.

But, I am curious what they thought sidemount was going to do to your nav or their ability to teach nav. Seems a tad sketchy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom