Side mount for rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving only sidemount since I completed the course this past April in Florida. I came back to Missouri and took another couple SSI courses, one of which was navigation. I showed up in sidemount at the lake for the checkout dives and the instructor asked if I had a standard backmount rig with me....I didn't. He didn't seem happy but let me complete that course in sidemount. They don't see a lot of it in Missouri.

I had signed up for the Stress & Rescue course and asked ahead of time if I could do it in my sidemount rig. I was told no.

There is nothing about the nav course that couldn't be done in SM. Not sure why they had a problem with it. Not sure what other courses you were doing but all the ones I can think of would not be an issue in SM.

S&R in SM should have been allowed. First, there is no restriction on it. Second, it's only a small change in what needs to be accomplished. You would certainly find how easy/difficult it is to remove your tank(s) in a rescue situation. Plus, it can be instructive to the other students ("what would you do?" "what would be different?") Heck, if I were teaching it, I would have you as a victim after they did the skills with a backmount victim.

Back
Top Bottom