Side mount or Side mount? Which is a better option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its interesting to see sidemount take off after I was nearly crucified for advocating independent doubles a few years ago. I gave up backmounted doubles for the orthopedic reasons mentioned. I plan to give sidemount a go when the configuration becomes more standardized.

Not likely to happen. Like they say, put 10 side mount divers side by side and you'll see 11 different configurations.

I teach a side mount course and don't require standardization from my students. In fact, I tell them about all the different possible ways to configure things that I know of and leave it up to them to decide which way to choose.

Not likely to happen. Like they say, put 10 side mount divers side by side and you'll see 11 different configurations.

Wasn't that true of all tech divers 15 years ago? :crafty:

I just found the site for the Razor (something) sidemount a few hours ago. Love it! How do the Safety Nazis feel about using a drysuit as the sole means of buoyancy control?

As soon as someone duplicates the design with webbing, sliders and D-rings and sells them for $100 I'll buy one.

I've never seen side mount in person, and up until a few days ago, I thought it was 100% DIY, used by a social outcast of cave men. :wink:

It's positive sides and applications are clearly identified. Personal opinions on cleanliness and streamlining put aside, have some of you experienced negative sides (I'm thinking all kinds of applications)?

I kinda thought this one looked nice and tidy: Oxycheq RECON I Signature Series
Comments? Action photos?

I'm used to 2x12 l, and to using a v-weight and tail weight to offset buoyancy and trim. How do you sort out that with side mount? Any good patents? When you clip off the bottles and push them in front, won't your trim be severely affected?

Also, I've been trying to find pics/videos of side mount with stages. What do you do? Just side mount everything?

Last edited:
Personally, I think sidemount is often a status thing. Sort of like getting the "cool" and "different" status of a rebreather without spending 10K.

Interesting thought and has some validity,kind of like kids at school having to have Nike shoes. For whatever reason people choose,I regard sidemount configuration as a tool that I found necessary to access sections of cave that I was surveying that I couldn't get to by backmount. I think in all situations the cave demands the gear choice,and not all configuration are universal ie DIR won't work in a bedding plane cave. For example in upstream Hart backmount is a better choice due to the narrow passages that demand a smaller profile for width,and the backmount offers much less drag in the high flow passages;but Jug Hole needs sidemount due to bedding planes and restrictions.

" Cleaner? How so? .... What makes backmount cleaner?

Look at the amount of exposed surface area for drag. Sidemount is notorious for more drag.

Interesting thought and has some validity,kind of like kids at school having to have Nike shoes. For whatever reason people choose,I regard sidemount configuration as a tool that I found necessary to access sections of cave that I was surveying that I couldn't get to by backmount. I think in all situations the cave demands the gear choice,and not all configuration are universal ie DIR won't work in a bedding plane cave. For example in upstream Hart backmount is a better choice due to the narrow passages that demand a smaller profile for width,and the backmount offers much less drag in the high flow passages;but Jug Hole needs sidemount due to bedding planes and restrictions.

Don't forget Ruth !!! (SMILE)
I did it for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago.

I am slowly switching from Backmount to Sidemount myself. Since I am starting to do some "smaller" caves now that you cannot get into with backmount , well ( lol ).

For me it's like everything else I did from Cavern to Full cave etc. I tend to take things slow. But some of my sidemount buddies say I should dive sidemount more , no matter what the cave size is.

Again , for me , it's practice , practice , practice.

And since I am starting to have some upper back/right shoulder issues , it's probably a much better thing to do for me now.

Thanks!
Beano

Da beano is goin to da side mounts!

Thats reason enough for anyone to adopt the configuration!

i'm in! whatever jean does is worth doing!

And since I had the bungee come off SEVERAL times during the dive if I just had them under the valves,

I used to have that problem with the original Nomad bungee setup. Did the "Nomadillo" mod and that seemed to fix it. Guess using the choker system would fix it as well.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom