Sidemount AI configuration options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tell them how to think :p . It's a pretty small compromise (if they want to see it that way) considering you're paying. No point getting specialty training if you're not going to dive that way.

I hope you are joking. My sarcasm sensor has been broken for a while.

A ton of posts on this thread have agreed that keeping a spare SPG in your gear bag is a good idea, just in case you have a tx failure. Knowing how to set up and use an SPG with your SM config is not a trivial matter. For reasons of trim, functionality of checking them, and gas management, I would be surprised if any SM instructors did not require you to learn/demonstrate this even if you are using AI as your primary monitor.

I'm a full AI convert, no SPGS.

I'm doing my TDI SM course in a couple of weeks and I have a feeling I'll be required to use SPGs, if I do I'll lollipop them too but they'll be back in my spares as soon as I finish the course.
As a training tool I make my SM students train with SPGs, ensures the gas knowledged need. That gives a solid foundation and is then used as a back up to AI if they adopt them.

I just converted my SM regs to add AI transmitters on 9” hoses. I am using ring bungees and have first stages down to the 9” hoses make it a little easier to tuck the TxPods out of the way.
I did try to fit them w no hoses, but they would not clean the AL80 tanks I am temporarily using (in prep for a Mexico trip).

FWIW, I do have button gauges on the regs for now, as I need a quick way to check gas pressure at setup as I am dialing in weights at various tank pressures. Maybe I will ditch them. I don’t see any real downside to keeping them though.

Regarding SM training. I think it’s a good idea for new SM divers to train using analog gauges. Being comfortable checking gas pressures in SM is one of the major things you need to learn. And you should be able to do it, in case you do have a gear failure and swap to gauges at some point. I am not an instructor, but I can’t imagine a good SM instructor handing out a cert if a student has not demonstrated this skill at least once.

If the Txs hit the cylinder, I just rotate the first stage slightly so they do clear and I have never had an issue with it messing up my hose routing.

As a training tool I make my SM students train with SPGs, ensures the gas knowledged need. That gives a solid foundation and is then used as a back up to AI if they adopt them.
I'm curious as to what skill would be learned using analog SPG vs. digital. They are still doing the same thing with monitoring their gas and balancing cylinders. It seems it would be better to teach them using the equipment they intend to use after leaving the classroom, no?

My cave instructor had not yet had a student want to use just transmitters, when she had me and another student in the same class wanting to do it. We were told to dive the first day with them, so she could see how it went. They didn’t get in the way and there were no issues so we were given the go ahead to keep using them for the rest of class. I had mine directly on first stages, classmate used 6” hoses.

Yeah my TDI instructor had no problem with me using TXs on my SM course and Advanced Nitrox/Helitrox course, he was also using them :)

I'm curious as to what skill would be learned using analog SPG vs. digital. They are still doing the same thing with monitoring their gas and balancing cylinders. It seems it would be better to teach them using the equipment they intend to use after leaving the classroom, no?
The difference is monitoring how much gas you have versus guestimating and checking how much gas you have. You could do the same with AI however. tTkes a little bit more discipline not to look before guestimating. I would not mind AI though, but AI is too expensive in my opinion.

Good question......

Physical skill wise, using the arms to simply and smoothly bring the gauges forward to read. The reason this is taught is a vast majority of divers do not have /can’t afford AI. Further, if there is an issue they are still comfortable switching back to spgs.
Gas management is similar but instead of a simple glance at a computer screen (so easy right?), they must physically check both spgs, more opportunity to ensure proper buoyancy and trim while task focused. It also cements the relationship of pressure to the actual tank vs just numbers on a screen.......

My cave instructor had not yet had a student want to use just transmitters, when she had me and another student in the same class wanting to do it. We were told to dive the first day with them, so she could see how it went. They didn’t get in the way and there were no issues so we were given the go ahead to keep using them for the rest of class. I had mine directly on first stages, classmate used 6” hoses.

Who was you're cave instructor? I have a feeling I know who you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom