Sidemount and boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh my goodness ... you need to find some better trained divers to dive with. Most of what you just put out there as "can't do" are things I do regularly.
  • A sidemount diver does not need any more bench space than someone in backmounted doubles. If they're taking up more than that, then they need to acquire better techniques (or just give a crap) for managing their gear on a boat.

If the boat is really rocking and everybody is gearing up in place, at their bench, don't you take up a lot more width on the bench with SM doubles?

If circumstances dictate that you gear up in place then walk to the exit and get in, won't you need a lot more width to walk from your bench to the exit? Which, if the boat isn't setup for that extra width, could mean banging tanks into other people's knees, etc., as you try to get by to get to the exit?

Of course, you can say "yes, so I wait until the people on either side of me have finished gearing up and headed for the exit before I attach my tanks" and "I wait until everyone between me and the exit has already headed for the exit". But, if you need to put those restrictions on yourself, that still seems like a drawback to using SM doubles on some boats.

If the boat is really rocking and everybody is gearing up in place, at their bench, don't you take up a lot more width on the bench with SM doubles?

If circumstances dictate that you gear up in place then walk to the exit and get in, won't you need a lot more width to walk from your bench to the exit? Which, if the boat isn't setup for that extra width, could mean banging tanks into other people's knees, etc., as you try to get by to get to the exit?

Of course, you can say "yes, so I wait until the people on either side of me have finished gearing up and headed for the exit before I attach my tanks" and "I wait until everyone between me and the exit has already headed for the exit". But, if you need to put those restrictions on yourself, that still seems like a drawback to using SM doubles on some boats.

On boats with those kinds of space limitations, I wait until everyone between me and the exit has already headed for the exit ... but I do that whether I'm in sidemount or backmount. It's just common courtesy.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's just common courtesy.

In spirit I agree - do you do the same if it is obvious that they are not going to be ready in the next 5 - 10 mins and are completely holding up one side of the boat?

In spirit I agree - do you do the same if it is obvious that they are not going to be ready in the next 5 - 10 mins and are completely holding up one side of the boat?

Sure ... what's the hurry? I'm going to get in my dive, regardless of whether I have to wait a few minutes for some of my fellow divers to get in the water or not ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

what's the hurry? I'm going to get in my dive

I may need to move... Sounds utopian - In NJ it is more like a Soup Nazi line - be ready, get up and get in quickly, do not Dilly Dally or get run over...

:)

On boats with those kinds of space limitations, I wait until everyone between me and the exit has already headed for the exit ... but I do that whether I'm in sidemount or backmount. It's just common courtesy.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with that sentiment. But, I have not always found it to be feasible. Sometimes, there are people who are determined to wait until everyone else has gotten out before they start gearing up. Sometimes, the only bench space available was in the middle, but with doubles, etc, the captain or mate suggests that my buddy and I get in first, since our dive may run longer than other people's. (Most boats I've been out on in NC/NJ don't seem to care if we go into deco, as long as we're not making everyone else wait on us at the end. Obviously, in those circumstances, deco obligations will generally not get very big at all.) Sometimes, someone between me and the exit has a problem and they are held up from getting out, but the rest of us are being directed to "go".

I may need to move... Sounds utopian - In NJ it is more like a Soup Nazi line - be ready, get up and get in quickly, do not Dilly Dally or get run over...

:)

I quite understand ... I lived in New Jersey back in the '60's ... people are chronically in a hurry there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree with that sentiment. But, I have not always found it to be feasible. Sometimes, there are people who are determined to wait until everyone else has gotten out before they start gearing up. Sometimes, the only bench space available was in the middle, but with doubles, etc, the captain or mate suggests that my buddy and I get in first, since our dive may run longer than other people's. (Most boats I've been out on in NC/NJ don't seem to care if we go into deco, as long as we're not making everyone else wait on us at the end. Obviously, in those circumstances, deco obligations will generally not get very big at all.) Sometimes, someone between me and the exit has a problem and they are held up from getting out, but the rest of us are being directed to "go".

Our local boats tend to be a bit more laid-back ... not to mention generally smaller. My preferred dive charters take somewhere between 8 and 14 divers at a time, and offer sufficient space for people gearing up to move around and get in the water without hurting each other. Sidemount isn't real popular here (more so with our northern neighbors in British Columbia), but is common enough that folks have figured out how to deal with the issues without too much concern ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I do not dive SM but was on a boat with a couple that did. It did seem like a bit more work for the crew as they handed them their bottles on entry and took them on exit. I asked them how they liked SM as I am interested in it as another tool as was mentioned, anyhow the one said that most boats they use are good with it they have found the ones that are and stick with them typically, as well they give a nice tip to the crew for the extra work. To me that sounds like a good way to approach it, contact the boat prior and ask them how they feel about it if to much issue then find another boat. If not remember the crew is giving you more attention and take care of them. If this is your only form of diving you will figure out what works best for boats you know and those you don't. Have fun

Oh and the couple would time their entry and exit so they were not holding up anyone.

I haven't had any issues diving a SM rig in either NJ or NC. I can go first or last depending on the rest of the crowd. On a six pack it doesn't matter much. On bigger boats that are full I usually wait.
The boat I prefer has a table that holds two divers at a time. You set your gear up there and the crew helps you get geared up. I take less time than guys getting in to doubles. I'm already in the harness, I put my bottles on the table. From there it's a minute to do four bolt snaps to secure the tanks, connect the lpi and secure my left ref to a chest d ring.
And I think it can be easier coming up a ladder or standing on a deck in rough water. The lower center of gravity helps a ton.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom