Sidemount and boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to wait my turn when I am diving BM singles as I hate to be the rude diver climbing over people trying to get into my gear and it gets others out of the way so I can gear up and move easier.

Haven't had any issues diving sidemount in California. Every boat I've been on has been fine with the extra gear or with passing cylinders down or back up for entry and exits.

Haven't had any issues diving sidemount in California. Every boat I've been on has been fine with the extra gear or with passing cylinders down or back up for entry and exits.

Do you dive the Peace? While they allowed me to use my sidemount equipment, they spared no effort letting me know they weren't happy about it. To be fair, I was pretty new to sidemount at the time, and had some experimenting to do before I figured out what worked under what conditions and what I would want to do differently.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Do you dive the Peace? While they allowed me to use my sidemount equipment, they spared no effort letting me know they weren't happy about it. To be fair, I was pretty new to sidemount at the time, and had some experimenting to do before I figured out what worked under what conditions and what I would want to do differently.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I think its probably culture - they may be used to doing things a certain way done it a zillion times now someone turns up with something new and they have to adjust their systems ( maybe) boat i dive with regulary - we have a pre dive gearing up plan before we leave the lodge- whose diving where and with whom whos gearing up first etc. whose gear gets loaded first and whose last. having said that we all know each other so its not a big deal maybe with a bunch of strangers might be different but still, having a gearing up plan is not hard

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob, no I have not used the Peace. Boats I use often now are Asante, Humboldt, Cee-Ray

It's always a good idea to call ahead and feel the operator out about sidemount. If you get pushback, find another operator. Really, you will both be happier.

This is great advice. Nobody needs tention on the boat, and I imagine some aren't setup well for sm. But if they are happy to have you, please have your gear in order.
Even a noob like me should be able to rig up within minutes of most rec divers taking up no extra room. A few extra steps and some organization is all that's needed.
I have under 80 dives and more than half have been in sm from boats, mostly just single tank with a pony but this 50yr old had no problem climbing a ladder with 2 tanks in place. A little bit of a turn at the top of the ladder to slip through. I find leaving the bunggees on helps with controlling tank swing while on deck.
Easy on the right boat on calm seas...that's the extent of my limited experience...So far...

For me it seems like communication is the way to go. When I dove doubles from a boat for the first time here in SO Cal, I called ahead and asked if it was an issue. It was not. But if I were to take them on the local dive boat which is small and crowded it would probably not work out as well, they were curious about the 7' hose lol and called it tech diving. Its an ok boat but usually its full of students. I can see where being flexible is the way to go, and if they do not like SM then there are other boats usually. But if they have a bad experience with someone using "different" method they may not be quick to accept it.

Here is another question for those that dive abroad, how are dive ops around the world with showing up and diving SM.

The only boat abroad I've dived sidemount on was the MV Tala, in the Red Sea. No problem. We had a nice mix of SM, BM doubles, BM singles and rebreather divers on board. The owner knows us all, and had chosen sites for our itinerary that would accommodate a wide range of dive profiles. We had a great time, and nobody ever seemed to get in anybody else's way.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Here's how I do it: I get my wetsuit and harness on a few minutes before we arrive at the dive site. When we arrive to the dive site I pull tanks and put them on the deck right tank on the right, left tank on the left. I them kneel down clip them into my ring bungees, plug in my hoses, grab my mask and fins and head to the water. It takes about as much time as a fairly efficient single tank diver to get geared up. I don't put on my mask and fins on the boat I wait until I get into the water and it only takes a minute to put those things on and then I'm diving.

If I dive my 50s then I usually clip those things on while I'm still sitting on the bench. The I can just stand up and walk over and splash in.

If I can't get thru an access way the solution is as simple as turning 90 degrees and side stepping thru.

Here's how I do it: I get my wetsuit and harness on a few minutes before we arrive at the dive site. When we arrive to the dive site I pull tanks and put them on the deck right tank on the right, left tank on the left. I them kneel down clip them into my ring bungees, plug in my hoses, grab my mask and fins and head to the water. It takes about as much time as a fairly efficient single tank diver to get geared up. I don't put on my mask and fins on the boat I wait until I get into the water and it only takes a minute to put those things on and then I'm diving.

If I dive my 50s then I usually clip those things on while I'm still sitting on the bench. The I can just stand up and walk over and splash in.

If I can't get thru an access way the solution is as simple as turning 90 degrees and side stepping thru.
Z-system by any chance? The QD does make getting in very quick. My procedure is exactly the same as yours.

Back
Top Bottom