Sidemount as a first own setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was considering moving to sidemount because I dive double steels in a wetsuit which means I couldn't swim up my rig with a BC failure. With sidemount I could make myself around 14 pounds less negative (no bands, manifold, backplate) which would really help with getting closer to being "balanced". Lots of folks now coming out of the woodworks to say sidemount is more finicky than back doubles for some reason. Weird.
Why are your bands, manifold, and backplate 14lb negative? Crossbar and Bands should be in the ~4lb neighborhood. If you're actually 14lb overweight, you might consider finding an AL or even plastic backplate. Drysuit or double AL80s are still your answer though.

I don't think it's woodworks. Sidemount is far more finnicky than backmount, especially if you/instructor/mentor don't know what they're doing.

I started cave diving doing sidemount, and was always told by my instructor that sidemount was a tool for very specific situations rather than a way to dive most situations. I pretty much ignored that and dove it wherever and whenever.

Recently, I started diving doubles to prepare for some boat dives I have coming up, and honestly I wish I had listened to the advice of others and dove doubles from the start. They're much simpler, take way less time to get set up for a dive, and have more versatility with where you can easily take them. Not to mention that walking a mile to a site with doubles is easier than with sidemount. I'm now on the "sidemount should only be used when necessary for specific technical dives" team. I will admit I don't like backmount because it can be difficult to look up (crossbar can be in the way) but that is something I am happy to deal with because backmount is so simple. Also, changing regulators every so often adds a level of complexity that isn't ideal for a new diver.

Ok, that's the classic backmount vs. sidemount argument, but realistically those setups are primarily used for technical dives. For a beginner diver, I would strongly suggest having a single backmount setup (if you get a backmount and wing, you can reuse the backplate for a double setup too!). I think you will limit the recreational dives that you can do if you do not have one. Many tropical boat operators are uncomfortable or will not allow you to used specialized equipment that they are unfamiliar with. Unless you are jumping into technical diving immediately you don't need a technical setup. Regardless, don't be that guy who dives a single sidemount cylinder in open water. There's no reason.

I was considering moving to sidemount because I dive double steels in a wetsuit which means I couldn't swim up my rig with a BC failure. With sidemount I could make myself around 14 pounds less negative (no bands, manifold, backplate) which would really help with getting closer to being "balanced". Lots of folks now coming out of the woodworks to say sidemount is more finicky than back doubles for some reason. Weird.
I know its really crazy isn't it?

side.jpg

I know its really crazy isn't it?
I'm sure you know that photo is widely ridiculed as being a horrible demonstration of sidemount.
Given that, I'm not sure how you think it contributes meaningfully to the conversation.

Their current photo that I find is this:
tec-45.jpg

I'm sure you know that photo is widely ridiculed as being a horrible demonstration of sidemount.
Given that, I'm not sure how you think it contributes meaningfully to the conversation.

Their current photo that I find is this:
View attachment 577358
Which has a list of problems by itself if that’s the standard against which they judge and you’d like to incorporate it into the convo. The diver on the left admittedly looks slightly better than the diver on the right.

Which has a list of problems by itself if that’s the standard against which they judge and you’d like to incorporate it into the convo. The diver on the left admittedly looks slightly better than the diver on the right.
Yes it still has problems. Certainly from a cave perspective. But from a jump off the boat / use from shore OW perspective I'd say they were on the right path.

It does look like its an AL, so they just need to reclip it. And I'm not sure about their bungee setup. And as non-tech, they likely do not need that huge dive comp. The image is actually named tec-45.

And the diver on the left's SPG is in a boot. But that fits a bit more the non-tech, lets not be too picky view.

I'm not saying they are perfect. But that is that agencies current photo. Nor am I saying keeping this photo, as the photo they show, suggests that their class is the best one to take.

Yes it does. Certainly from a cave perspective. But from a jump off the boat / use from shore OW perspective I'd say they were on the right path.

It does look like its an AL, so they just need to reclip it. And I'm not sure about their bungee setup. And as non-tech, they likely do not need that huge dive comp. The photo is actually named tec-45.

And the diver on the left's SPG is in a boot. But that fits a bit more the non-tech, lets not be too picky view.

I'm not saying they are perfect. But that is that agencies current photo. Nor am I saying keeping this photo, as the photo they show, suggests that their class is the best one to take.

You pretty much proved my point. Sidemount is finicky and nuanced.

You pretty much proved my point. Sidemount is finicky and nuanced.
So then don't dive it. Diving is finicky and nuanced relative to several other sports.

The instruction to do it decent is not hard.
Which makes an agency still getting their photos wrong rather confusing.

Doing it cave level perfect may take a bit of adjustment.

Your photo is from a 'clip them on and go' level of instruction.
'Side slung' as one instructor described it.

I'm sure you know that photo is widely ridiculed as being a horrible demonstration of sidemount
Which is interesting, since they appear to be diving backmounted doubles and carrying two stage/deco tanks so they're not even diving sidemount. Notice both "sidemounted" tanks have their regulators stowed and one tank has a green o2 valve.

Lots of folks now coming out of the woodworks to say sidemount is more finicky than back doubles for some reason. Weird.

So then don't dive it. Diving is finicky and nuanced relative to several other sports.

The instruction to do it decent is not hard.
Which makes an agency still getting their photos wrong rather confusing.

Doing it cave level perfect may take a bit of adjustment.

Your photo is from a 'clip them on and go' level of instruction.
'Side slung' as one instructor described it.

The OP wants to dive caves. He has a new idea about cave diving every other week. This week instead of getting a drysuit to dive steel doubles (so he's not a brick in event of a wing failure) he's decided to stick with his wetsuit but jump on the sidemount bandwagon. Despite those of us "in the woodwork" that realize that actually cave diving in SM is not necessarily a seamless transition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom