• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

sidemount diving with two long hoses

Discussion in 'Sidemount Diving' started by Josh the diver, Oct 21, 2020.

1. rick00001967

rick00001967 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    ii started doing the same idea but opposite. my left short hose remains on my bungee necklace at all times, but my right long hose is held in a bungee loop on my right dring when not in use.

guys who crawl thru caves would not do this but for diving ow i like this idea better.

2. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Why would you say this? necklaced left reg and long hose right is pretty standard cave SM configuration

3. rick00001967

pls re read my comment and the quoted comment i was responding to

4. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

short bungied left and long hose right is SOP

5. Bowers

Bowers Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    if you leave the left on a neckless bungee with the extra tucked in tank bungees and have the right treated like the normal long hose and clipped off when not in use.. then you do not increase chances of tangling.

Wibble likes this.
  6. Coztick

Coztick Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Nope...
    If you try to donate the left hose, it will be trapped by the right. The only reason I can see for 2 long hoses is maintaining a primary donate protocol.

7. Bowers

Bowers Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    But not twisted up, just under the other hose. It still deploys enough to donate, and a quick flip of your reg allows it to be completely freed. It allows you to share from either tank while passing restrictions. Is also nice if your tank configurations change because it doesn’t matter if valves are up, down or monkey rigged, your regs can be used without reconfiguring. I currently dive short left and long right, but have dove with both long and think its perfectly viable.

rick00001967 and Coztick like this.
  8. rick00001967

i will explain.

the comment i responded to was...."I prefer no boltsnap, bungee necklace on right side. left side when not in use is in a bungee loop at D ring."

my reply was..... "i started doing the same idea but opposite. my left short hose remains on my bungee necklace at all times, but my right long hose is held in a bungee loop on my right dring when not in use. guys who crawl thru caves would not do this but for diving ow i like this idea better."

so johnny said he does NOT use a boltsnap. he uses a necklace on his "right" reg, and stores his "left" reg using a bungee loop on a Dring.
    i also stopped using a boltsnap. but i have my "right" reg on a loop bungee on a Dring, and my "left" reg on a necklace, which is the opposite of what he said. as you pointed out, this would probably be the most commonly accepted practice (although there are others).

"guys who crawl thru caves" would not use a bungee loop to hold a reg to a dring as it may easily come off. most prefer the traditional boltsnap method so it stays in place.
    for me, when ow diving, or even in cenotes etc, i started using the bungee loop because i felt it was held in place securely enough for my type of diving, but allowed me to deploy the reg more easily if needed. just my personal choice.

does that make more sense now ? sorry if i was not clear.

9. johnnywulff

johnnywulff Solo Diver

If both hoses are over neck because are right second stage, no matter is there are long or short one (left), the tangled issue is the same, as mentioned @Bowers, but the benefits of maintaining a primary donate protocol as mentioned @Coztick is IMO the best.
    Cheers