Sidemount/double config - XTX50/DST or MTX-R or MTX-RC ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MasterMindDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello All,
I know the XTX50/DST is the best seller as very reliable and i have one already for several years and i love it.
I am planning to buy Apeks sidemount/ double regulator set and i thought that MTX-R/MTX-RC might be good for that purpose since it is certified according to Navy standards , but i am not sure if it has been tested and if it is considered reliable as the XTX50/DST or not, that why i am seeking your opinion?

Thanks to share with me your thoughts , which one you would buy ? why ? and if the service kit for the MTX-R/RC is identical as the XTX50/DST ?

Thanks in advance!.
Regards

I would buy the XTX/DST. The MTX-RC should breath identical to the XTX 50/200.

My issue is/are with the MTX first stage, it has no removable hp crown, which the DST does not either, but you are paying a premium for the MTX. My biggest "hmmm" is with the HP ports, if you decide to use the 5th port (I only ST BM) the hp ports "look" to be now pointing up. If I was in the market and wanted Apeks only, I'd buy an XTX50 with FSR (due to its replaceable hp crown).

FTR I have very little knowledge about SM diving so this could affect my choice. Even so, I'd still choose a DST over an MTX first stage.

Just my personal opinion, of course as with everything YMMV.

Take care.

D37F1E2F-449B-46F5-A14C-7672665E62D9.png

I would buy the XTX/DST. The MTX-RC should breath identical to the XTX 50/200.

My issue is/are with the MTX first stage, it has no removable hp crown, which the DST does not either, but you are paying a premium for the MTX. My biggest "hmmm" is with the HP ports, if you decide to use the 5th port (I only ST BM) the hp ports "look" to be now pointing up. If I was in the market and wanted Apeks only, I'd buy an XTX50 with FSR (due to its replaceable hp crown).

FTR I have very little knowledge about SM diving so this could affect my choice. Even so, I'd still choose a DST over an MTX first stage.

Just my personal opinion, of course as with everything YMMV.

Take care.

great notes , thanks a lot for highlighting it!.
i saw FSR and i might plan to buy it in the future to dedicate it to BM diving , and for the time being i was thinking to use DST for both (side mounting and back mounting and adjust the hoses as needed). i saw multiple people using it and they place it 45 degrees for better hose routing as follow:

upload_2021-1-19_0-20-16.png

was thinking to do the same for either DST or MTX-RC till i decide if will do much of back mount diving with twinset , then i might go for the FSR or Tek3.

Regards

Most welcome. Personally I wouldn't buy the tek 3, too mission specific. With the 5th port now on the FSR I "think" it would route nicely.

Hello All,
I know the XTX50/DST is the best seller as very reliable and i have one already for several years and i love it.
I am planning to buy Apeks sidemount/ double regulator set and i thought that MTX-R/MTX-RC might be good for that purpose since it is certified according to Navy standards , but i am not sure if it has been tested and if it is considered reliable as the XTX50/DST or not, that why i am seeking your opinion?

Thanks to share with me your thoughts , which one you would buy ? why ? and if the service kit for the MTX-R/RC is identical as the XTX50/DST ?

Thanks in advance!.
Regards

If you already have one XTX50/DST, just get another one and dedicate the two for SM. They are more expensive in the US, but perhaps you might look for one used. I use them for SM myself.

I would get XTX50/DST on that, but I also wouldn't look at Apeks in this country, they are way too expensive and not worth the cost

thanks a lot @tbone1004 ! for sharing your recommendation. I agree , prices are not going down for a while for this reg :D.

If you already have one XTX50/DST, just get another one and dedicate the two for SM. They are more expensive in the US, but perhaps you might look for one used. I use them for SM myself.

thanks a lot @Marie13 ! for sharing your recommendation. I was thinking of buying one more to build the sidemount set , then i got the impression that i might be adjusting the hoses more often to single tank while conducting course or during confined water dives . based on that i thought it might be a good idea to buy sidemount set just for side mounting or backmounting twinset , and single one for just single tank setup and use it as a spare in case of having issues in sidemount set.

but this will definitely cost more :(.
Regards

@MasterMindDiver

I already had the Apeks regs. One I had bought new in box here for about $150 below retail and the other I won at an event. So I got mine very cheap. I did have the 5th port added later. If I was starting from scratch, I’d probably go with the Dive Rite regs. They are similar to the Apeks DST with the fifth port and rotating turret. I got a sidemount set of DGX in November for $718 - $180 off regular price. Even without the sale, $899 for the SM set compared to the Apeks SM set, which is about $1600 or so, is a huge bargain. I’m going to split the DR set into a deco reg and a backup for Apeks SM regs.

People here like Deep6 a lot. I preferred to pay a bit more for Dive Rite as the company has been around since the 80s. I’m not into servicing my regs myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom