Sidemount Fin Recommendation? (Frog & Reverse Kick)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So far I have:
  • Aqualung Rocket Fins - These gave me cramps, were heavy, and I didn't get great propulsion.
  • Seawing Nova - Great Fins for flutter-kick and similar kicks. Significantly reduced cramps & great for distance. Unfortunately, they seem terrible at frog-kick and reverse-kick, likely due to the flexibility. (My inexperience with frog & reverse kick is likely contributing too)
As far as intended goals:
  • Not heavily cramp-inducing like the heavy rocket fins.
  • Preferably a balance between Frog & Flutter Kick. Also able to do reverse kick. I understand I might sacrifice a little bit of flutter-kick.
  • Decent for side mount (if that makes a difference).
  • Currently dive 5mm wetsuit & 2x AL80s, but could eventually upgrade to 2x Steel 100+s. I'm not focused on Technical (3+ tanks) at this time, and would likely consider another pair of fins at that time.
I'm currently considering and open to more suggestions (prices are estimated used-prices):
  • Avanti Quatro ($70 used) & Avanti Quatro Plus ($140 new): These tend to have great review. I see non-plus versions for about half the price on used-market much cheaper. Apparently the plus is slightly longer, and has different fin straps? Would that length make much of a difference with propulsion?
  • Seawing Nova Gorilla (~$135 used): These are apparently stiffer, which might improve reverse and frog kick? I love the original ones.
  • Mares Superchannel ($70 used) - There are a number of these on the used market for decent prices. How do they compare to the Avanti Quatro?
  • Mares X-stream - Another option. Neat concept. I can't tell if they would be too flexible or not for reverse/frog kick.
  • Deep6 Eddy & RK3s ($165 to $175 new)- Also great reviews, but a little pricier & I'm skeptical of the difference from my old rocket-fins.
  • Tusa Solla ($100 new) Inexpensive, good reviews, not sure about reverse/frog potential.
  • Hollis F1 & F2 - Would these perform similar to the RK3s?
  • Others? I'm open to suggestions. Technically my budget is somewhat flexible, but in the off-chance I don't like the fin, I'd hate to spent a lot of money. 2x less expensive fins may be better than 1x more expensive fins .... but there's also the concept of buy once cry once. Since trying fins out before you buy isn't a thing, I'm preferring less expensive fins if possible.

I've seen the Eddy's and RK3s recommended in other threads. The Eddy's and RK3's both appear visually similar to the rocket-fins I have and are a bit on the pricey-side (and not many used). What's the major advantage of these fins & how do they compare to rocket-fins?

I've seen the Eddy's and RK3s recommended in other threads. The Eddy's and RK3's both appear visually similar to the rocket-fins I have and are a bit on the pricey-side (and not many used). What's the major advantage of these fins & how do they compare to rocket-fins?

They’re stiff, but light. Slightly negative.

eddy are significantly stiffer than rk3. oms slipstream/hollis f1 LT are the other contenders in the neutral/stiff paddle fin category. but if you get cramps with jetfins, then the quattros or rk3s might be a better choice for less stiffness (or stop skipping leg day). a pair of used quattros is a low risk choice, if you get them for like 40 bucks or less, you pretty much can get your money back if you end up not wanting to keep them.

Quattro and Superchannels are very similar. SC are a bit softer IMO and either will work well.
X-Streams, pass. No sidewall and difficult to backkick in even with single cylinder. I use them in the pool.

Apex RK3 are another good choice.

Hollis F2 I will use with AL80’s and a wetsuit. With Steels and drysuit they are too soft for me

Deep6 Eddy, though I'll ask you @SlugMug why do you think you'll need to flutter kick?
Because I'm terrible at Frog Kick. Which I'm currently not 100% sure how much of that blame is on me, or my fins.

Back
Top Bottom