Sidemount Harness Choice/Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are set on a minimalist rig, others on here can advise you more.

But if you would consider something like the HOG sidemount rig, they are currently on sale for $200US/$263AUD.. you just have to worry about getting it there to you.

Razor is redundant and minimalist have the right lift capacity 45 lbs to handle the steel 12 lts or as mentioned X Deep Stealth Tec little more lift 50 lbs, don't go lower from this capacity of lift especially if you are diving steel and 7mm wet.

Aren't they all the same? These are fabers 13.8kg 12.2l 100cuft
Tanks vary wildly around the globe, don't ask me why. In France you can get a 12l for 12kg, 14kg or 17kg (those are 12l shorts).

I have dived the faber in australia almost perfectly fine with a stealth... no need for a buttplate, those tanks get quite light at the end of the dive usually. Only used them for like 4 dives, no left-right valves, had a stupid tank boot and some other crap bound to them, so pretty far from ideal.

The guys at deepdivegear do as well. Heck the only one I know that recommended a buttplate with those tanks were the ones that were completely clueless about anything related to diving.

This thread might interest you as to why I'm saying "no buttplate"
Show us your kung-fu skills in trimming out Faber cylinders.

having rails leaves your rear drop rings free for clipping on reels and other gear. with the faber lp85s, you have to move them as they get butt light, but with 300 bar steels or worthingtons, they stay negative throughout the dive and don't need to be moved off the rails.

My experience is that there are two very distinct setups: one for wet warm water diving with AL80s, and one for cold water diving with steels and drysuit. And what you're trying to create is a hybrid that may not work as well. For myself, I have two rigs: a Razor with redundant bladder but not quite as much lift for the former, and a Halcyon Contour with more lift for the latter, where the redundant buoyancy is provided by the dry suit. I have tried diving the Countour with AL80s and a wet suit, and it didn't work out as well. I haven't even bothers with the Razor in dry suit and with steel tanks; I just can't picture that working well.

My experience is that there are two very distinct setups: one for wet warm water diving with AL80s, and one for cold water diving with steels and drysuit. And what you're trying to create is a hybrid that may not work as well. For myself, I have two rigs: a Razor with redundant bladder but not quite as much lift for the former, and a Halcyon Contour with more lift for the latter, where the redundant buoyancy is provided by the dry suit. I have tried diving the Countour with AL80s and a wet suit, and it didn't work out as well. I haven't even bothers with the Razor in dry suit and with steel tanks; I just can't picture that working well.

I disagree, let's look at the variables...

Water temp: the buoyancy of water varies very little from cold to hot (even freezing to boiling).

Tanks: ally's get floaty arse end (more so catalinas over luxfer) so require a little more adjustment than steels as they deplete.

Suits: obviously the dry suit can provide redundant buoyancy the wetsuit cannot, but providing your bladder has enough lift the dry suit lift is just that... Redundant.

Summary: the bottom line of your argument is probably the fact that's it's easier to set up a bc to suit one type of diving rather than try and alter the setup when switching between tank types.

There are vids on youtube of multiple configurations of the hollis systems with steel/ally wet/dry and all variations look well trimmed.

Perhaps I'm missing something?

Does anyone else have experience with the Hog Sidemount Rig? The price is very attractive..

I have one but I have not used it yet. I will get going with it after my Cavern/Intro class next week.

Does anyone else have experience with the Hog Sidemount Rig? The price is very attractive..

I've read that the price reflects in the quality when compared to similar rigs by other manufacturers, never actually seen yet alone used one so read into that what you will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom