Sidemount Instructors - know any in Gauteng?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PsyWulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As the title specifies,i'm looking to try this out. Does anybody know anyone who can give me a try-dive for sidemount?

I was hoping someone would eventually reply with an answer for you, but no such luck. I have no idea and Google was entirely unhelpful (as I'm sure you know). All I can think to recommend is emailing or calling some tech-friendly shops in the area and asking if they know anyone. Please let us know if you do find someone, for future reference. Good luck.

Psy, I suspect I met you in Cape Town, the day I lost the wing nut for my back plate. Otherwise, you are the second person to ask me the same question in short succession.

Since I was asked that about two months ago, I have pondered the question. Andy's post in the side mount area of SB has solidified my opinion. I am not a side mount diver, but have dived with side mount instructor trainers in Florida caves. These guys are using SM for what it originally was intended - a sleek profile to slip between rocks, where BM just doesn't fit. I've seen it in practice, and SM is a powerful tool in this environment.

I've seen those same instructor trainers agonise with students over harnesses, back plates, hose placements and things I don't understand. It involves video, minor adjustments and then more tinkering to get it right. Then you change the size of the tanks and start again. To learn the basics, I'm sure someone here can teach you. To breath off two tanks, one under each arm, borrow my harness and clip two stages to the D rings.

I cannot think of a single dive site in South Africa where SM is essential, so to learn to do it properly is almost certainly not going to happen here in South Africa. Sigh - SM just got more expensive.

Psy, I suspect I met you in Cape Town, the day I lost the wing nut for my back plate. Otherwise, you are the second person to ask me the same question in short succession.

Since I was asked that about two months ago, I have pondered the question. Andy's post in the side mount area of SB has solidified my opinion. I am not a side mount diver, but have dived with side mount instructor trainers in Florida caves. These guys are using SM for what it originally was intended - a sleek profile to slip between rocks, where BM just doesn't fit. I've seen it in practice, and SM is a powerful tool in this environment.

I've seen those same instructor trainers agonise with students over harnesses, back plates, hose placements and things I don't understand. It involves video, minor adjustments and then more tinkering to get it right. Then you change the size of the tanks and start again. To learn the basics, I'm sure someone here can teach you. To breath off two tanks, one under each arm, borrow my harness and clip two stages to the D rings.

I cannot think of a single dive site in South Africa where SM is essential, so to learn to do it properly is almost certainly not going to happen here in South Africa. Sigh - SM just got more expensive.

Thanks for the replies guys. Indeed it seems a challenging,I know geko divers in Pretoria offer it but was hoping for local :p

I might just have to dig in and diy it,but sometimes its nice to have instruction to iron out the kinks. The basics is easy enough,2 cylinders 2 regs and switching between you even practice during deep speciality so I have the concept down. Guess i"ll be google-certing this :)

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom