Sidemount regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone asks what should I buy for gear and it depends on the application. I didn’t suggest or promote what I dive. That wasn’t my intent. So many divers on this site are open water divers of some sort and looking for advise vs cave divers - trimix divers - wreck divers that their question on what to buy needs to put into perspective. Or perhaps they need to reconsider their current needs vs their future needs. For those of us that have the funds to purchase first class gear the first time it’s an easier decision.

I'm not sure I follow your point... The original question was specific regarding the use of our regulator in a sidemount configuration. As Landon pointed out, everyone at Deep 6 has a passion for diving and teaching everything from OW to hypoxic trimix cave diving. We all enjoy being underwater, whether in single-tank backmount, doubles backmount, or sidemount. (Okay, so exclude me from doubles- I can't perform V-drills very well due to a shoulder injury...) We all use Deep 6 Gear. There are countless others that use our regulators as well, ranging from single tank dives in calm 20 ft shallow water to 6+ tank configs doing 300+ ft technical dives in high current / low visibility / silty conditions.

There was one goal in mind when creating the Signature Series- to be the most capable, best performing regulator we could design. It was created to allow for all styles of diving, regardless of certification level or configuration. Of course, that also meant it was going to be expensive, and so we addressed that: We keep your cost down by using a different business model than our competitors- essentially, we "Deep 6'd" the old, outdated model and created a new approach that places the consumer at the core. Read more about it by visiting our "ABOUT US" page and "FAQ" page.

The reality is, regardless of what type of diving you're doing, or what certification level you have achieved, our reg will work great. The same can't be said for all other regulators on the market. For example, Ti shouldn't be used for diving high O2 concentrations.

Specifically when used in SM config, our reg excels in many areas: We have a swivel turret that can rotate 360 degrees with hoses attached. Our swivel turret has a 5th LP port on the bottom allowing for better hose routing. The HP ports are at 90 degrees instead of angled. The deflector knob on our 2nd stage allows you to redirect the airflow toward the diaphragm to prevent free flow when not in use.... the list goes on and on- basically everything you'd want for SM diving. And then there's the ridiculous list of performance related items that make our reg perform amazing....

I honestly can't think of any reason why our reg shouldn't be considered.

I dive Deep6 regs in sidemount in caves. Love them. They're 5th port swivel, which right out of the box gives you the most options for hose routing. They perform great in everything from wide open passages to tight silty gross stuff. The cost is excellent. I've found them to be a top quality regulator at an excellent price point.

I say all this stuff having never gotten a discount from them, not one of their brand ambassadors, just a normal customer. I will be standardizing on their regs for bailout, deco, and stage bottles as my other regs need service. That's more a service thing, keeping one set of parts kits is my spares is much easier. It's not that I dislike any of my other regs, it's just easier to have one set of parts to look after. I won't be getting rid of my Apeks Tek3's because they're the best for rebreather mounting, and I won't get rid of my inflation bottle reg, because it fits the need better than anything. However, all of my other breathing regs will get swapped over the next few years.

I have a discount code for you :wink::cool:

I'm not sure I follow your point... The original question was specific regarding the use of our regulator in a sidemount configuration. As Landon pointed out, everyone at Deep 6 has a passion for diving and teaching everything from OW to hypoxic trimix cave diving. We all enjoy being underwater, whether in single-tank backmount, doubles backmount, or sidemount. (Okay, so exclude me from doubles- I can't perform V-drills very well due to a shoulder injury...) We all use Deep 6 Gear. There are countless others that use our regulators as well, ranging from single tank dives in calm 20 ft shallow water to 6+ tank configs doing 300+ ft technical dives in high current / low visibility / silty conditions.

There was one goal in mind when creating the Signature Series- to be the most capable, best performing regulator we could design. It was created to allow for all styles of diving, regardless of certification level or configuration. Of course, that also meant it was going to be expensive, and so we addressed that: We keep your cost down by using a different business model than our competitors- essentially, we "Deep 6'd" the old, outdated model and created a new approach that places the consumer at the core. Read more about it by visiting our "ABOUT US" page and "FAQ" page.

The reality is, regardless of what type of diving you're doing, or what certification level you have achieved, our reg will work great. The same can't be said for all other regulators on the market. For example, Ti shouldn't be used for diving high O2 concentrations.

Specifically when used in SM config, our reg excels in many areas: We have a swivel turret that can rotate 360 degrees with hoses attached. Our swivel turret has a 5th LP port on the bottom allowing for better hose routing. The HP ports are at 90 degrees instead of angled. The deflector knob on our 2nd stage allows you to redirect the airflow toward the diaphragm to prevent free flow when not in use.... the list goes on and on- basically everything you'd want for SM diving. And then there's the ridiculous list of performance related items that make our reg perform amazing....

I honestly can't think of any reason why our reg shouldn't be considered.
I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with your gear. But instead I have seen some makeshift Sidemount kits on divers that were clearly not originally made for the Sidemount configuration. People want to try Sidemount, great. But if that means it takes the person into technical diving - Cave - deep - wrecks, the get high quality gear. Don’t put something together from backmoubt gear. IMO

The OP specifically asked about Deep6 regs and their suitability for sidemount use. Your responses suggest you have no experience with Deep6 regs, and my suspicion is that you have never even seen one, yet you feel obliged to suggest that people may want to consider something else for caves etc. If you did take your time to educate yourself you would find that the regs have very similar features to those that you are using but also have improvements that make them even more suitable for sidemount such as a full 360 degree swivel. By the way the regs you are using were originally designed for backmount like most other regs.

The OP specifically asked about Deep6 regs and their suitability for sidemount use. Your responses suggest you have no experience with Deep6 regs, and my suspicion is that you have never even seen one, yet you feel obliged to suggest that people may want to consider something else for caves etc. If you did take your time to educate yourself you would find that the regs have very similar features to those that you are using but also have improvements that make them even more suitable for sidemount such as a full 360 degree swivel.

I know this response was not to me... but I'll chime in anyways.

I think some people have a 'fear' of something because it's less expensive then an alternate, or a belief something is better/ of higher quality because it costs more money.

With that I'll say I dive really high end (aka EXPENSIVE) ScubaPro regulators... My decisions came down to...
-Wanted a metal regulator for comfort, reduced 'cotton mouth'.
-Worldwide support, should there be an issue in some far off land.
-I love the way the SP A700 looked (sad I know, but I took that into account when shopping).

I like the Deep6 business model, they just didn't have much to offer me in terms of regs... I do not want to service my own regulators and price was not one of my primary concerns when buying gear. With that said, I love their Eddy Fins, and I'm sure I'll try some other gear as my diving progresses...

I know this response was not to me... but I'll chime in anyways.

I think some people have a 'fear' of something because it's less expensive then an alternate, or a belief something is better/ of higher quality because it costs more money.

With that I'll say I dive really high end (aka EXPENSIVE) ScubaPro regulators... My decisions came down to...
-Wanted a metal regulator for comfort, reduced 'cotton mouth'.
-Worldwide support, should there be an issue in some far off land.
-I love the way the SP A700 looked (sad I know, but I took that into account when shopping).

I like the Deep6 business model, they just didn't have much to offer me in terms of regs... I do not want to service my own regulators and price was not one of my primary concerns when buying gear. With that said, I love their Eddy Fins, and I'm sure I'll try some other gear as my diving progresses...
Your reasons are all very valid unlike those of the poster I was addressing. Regarding the fear of something less expensive the Apeks XTX50 sidemount Kit can be purchased in Europe for $1141 US including VAT. Strip out the VAT and you are at about $950 which is only a little more than the Deep6 package but does include a retailers markup suggesting that the Deep6 costs more to manufacture. That is from a Apeks Dealer in Europe but don't think for a moment they will ship to the US or Canada, they won't even show you the price if you don't show a different country.

Guys be nice. It is just a conversation on SB. :)

I think sometimes people are just eager to participate in the conversations and look at recent threads/post without realizing they are in the manufacturers specific forum instead of the general forum areas.

Most importantly though, any diver should dive with that they are comfortable with, even if that isn't us.

I think we offer a great product and certainly hope we are the choice, but then again I am biased. lol

Back
Top Bottom