Best sidemount regulator set (ability to service outside USA)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTX50 with DST or Atomic M1. With the Atomic M1, you can dive anywhere in the world, it is sealed and rated for very cold water diving and is designated as the "Technical" diving regulator in the Atomic regulator line. It is best to use a regulator with a rotating turret on the first stage for SM set up.

Is there a significant difference in the M1 and the T3? I currently use the T3 for single tank diving and if all I needed was a second T3, replacement hoses and the gauges, it may not keep my costs down but I'm not left with extra regs gathering dust in my dive room.

I have struggled to find replacement hoses for the T3. They appear to be a larger diameter to standard hoses, or at least the connector to the second stage is larger bore than the standard hose connections.

Atomic 2nd stages require an extra nut if not used with their swivel hose. Other than that, they use the same size/thread as the standard LP hose.

Reactions: cib
As far as the regs go, if you want sealed regs, Apeks has the “best” rep and might be more available closer to Europe while Deep6 will be the “best” value but probably harder to source parts.

If you’re interested in ScubaPro, I have a few sets available for sale here.

Atomic 2nd stages require an extra nut if not used with their swivel hose. Other than that, they use the same size/thread as the standard LP hose.

Thank you. I will try to find a source for this nut.

As far as the regs go, if you want sealed regs, Apeks has the “best” rep and might be more available closer to Europe while Deep6 will be the “best” value but probably harder to source parts.

If you’re interested in ScubaPro, I have a few sets available for sale here.

I am interested in ScubaPro however I excluded them for the simple reason of not wanting 3 different regulators from 3 different manufacturers. I included Deep 6 as I could service them myself. There is no ScubaPro distributor able to off er technician courses in my local area.
However, what would you recommend?

I would just get another “T” Atomic, the first thing I do with any swivel hose Atomic is replace the hose, $12 for the jam nut is a pretty cheap part but is easily justified by the $75/100 you can get for the hose and you’ll end up with a hose length you like or prefer. Look for a T2 (or T2x) you can easily find a freshly serviced one for less than 1/2 the going rate of a T3. M1’s are also a great choice, all Atomic Regs are the same internal design so a z2 will breath the same as your T3.

s there a significant difference in the M1 and the T3? I currently use the T3 for single tank diving and if all I needed was a second T3, replacement hoses and the gauges, it may not keep my costs down but I'm not left with extra regs gathering dust in my dive room.

The internal design and performance are exactly the same for both of them, they differ in the materials they are made of in the most part. The M1 can work with O2% >40% (up to 80%) out of the box but the T3 can NEVER work with more than 40% O2!! The M1 is made for technical and cold water diving, water colder than <10C/40F, with special tweaks in the regulator for better performance in cold water but the T3 isn't. If you are going to be diving with <= 40% and in water with >10C/40F temp. the T3 can be used no issues but if O2% is >40% (as in deco bottles), then the M1 is the appropriate regulator to use.

If you decide to use the T3 for SM tanks based on the aforementioned conditions and need to change the hose lengths to fit SM needs, you either have to buy custom made hoses from Atomic with the Atomic proprietary swivel installed and pay an insanely ridiculous price for it, silly choice, or buy a $15 jam nut from Atomic and be able to use any standard second stage LP hose of any length from any vendor.

I have struggled to find replacement hoses for the T3. They appear to be a larger diameter to standard hoses, or at least the connector to the second stage is larger bore than the standard hose connections.

Buy a $15 jam nut from Atomic and be able to use any standard second stage LP hose of any length from any vendor.

So what about the Aqualung Legend with the fixed ports on the 1st stage? I have seen posts about some that use this reg but they never posted pictures of hose routings and whether the fixed port required significant compromises or not. I already have 100+ dives on my Legend LX Supreme and would be very happy to continue using that reg for side mount if the fixed port was not of major concern.

Thanks again all for your inputs.

Back
Top Bottom