Best sidemount regulator set (ability to service outside USA)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own both the Apeks XTX-50 sidemount SER and the Deep 6. I think the Deep did is of equal quality and wob as the Apeks, but for your situation of being in Qatar you will probably find it easier to get parts and service if you are not into home diy.

Reactions: cib
So what about the Aqualung Legend with the fixed ports on the 1st stage? I have seen posts about some that use this reg but they never posted pictures of hose routings and whether the fixed port required significant compromises or not. I already have 100+ dives on my Legend LX Supreme and would be very happy to continue using that reg for side mount if the fixed port was not of major concern.

Thanks again all for your inputs.

For sidemount, I'd want a first stage with rotating turret not a fix port. This is my preference.

So what about the Aqualung Legend with the fixed ports on the 1st stage? I have seen posts about some that use this reg but they never posted pictures of hose routings and whether the fixed port required significant compromises or not. I already have 100+ dives on my Legend LX Supreme and would be very happy to continue using that reg for side mount if the fixed port was not of major concern.

IMO swivel turret and 5th port is nice to have and I'd like that option for sidemounting if I'm buying a new reg anyway, but it's not a must-have and you'll be able to make your current reg work for sidemount. There are many degrees of freedom: you can rotate the tank a little, rotate the 1st stage at the tank in any angle, reconnect LP hoses to different ports, get the hoses a little longer or shorter. You can even buy 90° elbows for 1st stage ports, but that'll be unnecessary. Just try and see if you can make it work.

+1 on Deep6. I have them as my SM first stages; swivels are a good thing for SM.

For second stages you might consider a Poseidon XStream for your necklaced 2nd stage, or both. One is on my wish list. I have Deep6 and SP 109 balanced as my 2nd stages and found them to get in each others way when I tuck my chin to look down my chest behind me. A small annoyance solvable by turning the head a bit, but also by application of more money for a smaller reg that is also well regarded for cold water, and it ticks off your neighbor's 'a bit expensive' box.

Poseidon's first stage does not swivel, so adjustment down of the Deep6 IP will be needed to the bottom of its range. Poseidon is also self serviceable. @tbone1004 is our local Poseidon expert.

I am sorry to bring such old post back to life :) I am aslo resident in Qatar and just placed my order for Apex XTX50, can't deny price was my main drive since I got a good deal and my second option was SP MK25 although i already have it along with S600 for my single cylinder setup

I am sorry to bring such old post back to life :) I am aslo resident in Qatar and just placed my order for Apex XTX50, can't deny price was my main drive since I got a good deal and my second option was SP MK25 although i already have it along with S600 for my single cylinder setup

Hi Ahmed, may I ask where you ordered from?

I eventually chose the MTX-R and have been very happy with it. Excellent breathing in every position and depth (max has been 55m so far), robust and looks great. I like the simplicity and ability to configure it any way you need with the number of ports and rotating turret design.

I realized I never thanked all those who had an input. Much appreciated.

You can’t go wrong with MTRX series, I usually order my gear from Divestock as they deliver to Doha but my apex I order it from DirDirect.com and I should receive it next week.

If you are still in Qatar let’s dive together sometime :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom