Sidemount regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Octopusprime

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to move towards sidemount tec and looking for new regulators set. My recreational regulator is hollis and I like it a lot, I see a lot of recommendations for the apeks also.

I would like anyone's opinion of the Hollis sidemount ref set and the apex sidemount reg set. They are both 3 yr mainatance. I dive Lake Michigan a lot at high 40 degree and 50 degree dives are regular. I have hear that the apex are better in cold water but I do not plan on doing Ice diving.

I will be diving with the aqualung fusion bullet, Hollis sms75 sidemount rig, 112 steal tanks as primary gas, then an AL40 or 80 depending on dive.

What's your budget? I use and sell HOG. Deep6 is also a viable option. Both will allow you to service your own so that you decide when they get done.

I have looked at the deep 6 but is it very new. I'm not usually a early adopter. I'm not a tec diver that must be all black so I like the orange.

As for the hog it is a little bulky and causes me jaw fatigue. I have a hog and made it my octo on my pool set.

As far as maintaining your own, I do not want to do it. I would rather have someone do it. I have a good LDS that does great service.

The HOG regs are bulletproof and great for Sidemount, I have several. Jim is a great retailer as well. Great bang for the buck. Otherwise I like Apeks (which are very similar to HOG), the second stages can be a bit lighter. But if set up properly they shouldn't cause jaw fatigue.

Here's a list of the main sets available:

A List of Sidemount Regulator Sets

I'm hearing lots of good things said about the Deep6 regulators, but not yet had chance to return them out myself.

I've used Scubapro for decades and have been very happy with them. But sometimes I do wish I'd invested in Apeks across the board, as it'd make servicing and maintenance much easier.

Since you don't plan to service regs yourself, get a brand your LDS sells.

Since you don't plan to service regs yourself, get a brand your LDS sells.
My LDS sells and can service just about all makes and manufacturers. They do carry hog, Hollis and apex for sure.

What's your budget? I use and sell HOG. Deep6 is also a viable option. Both will allow you to service your own so that you decide when they get done.

Has anyone actually dove the deep6gear regs?

I use Deep6 for my sidemount. All my diving, actually. I use left and right hand regs so unfortunately I have to use a Diverite XT for the left 2nd but everything else is Deep6. They are really light in the water compared to the DR 2nd stages.

Love them to bits. To the OP, AFAIK @cerich designed the HOG regs being referred to as well as the Deep6 and I believe they are built by the same OEM. This may be one time early adoption is not a bad thing.

Has anyone actually dove the deep6gear regs?

yes, they're basically a better version of the HOG D3/Zenith combo. There's nothing that radical about the regulator that should make you nervous.

I do not like or recommend Hollis regulators. Low quality control and a wicked high price compared to other manufacturers. Apeks aren't worth the money they charge for it. HOG and Deep6 breathe just about as well, actually have more durable plating on them, and are significantly less money.

You do not need to self service the Deep6, @cerich has said there will be a service plan of some sort, but they will service at their shop in Georgia and mail them back to you. If you want to support your LDS, great, go for it, 100% behind it, but both Hollis and Apeks are horrifically overpriced in this country

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom