Sidemount rigging question - Hollis SMS100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firdaus Buhari

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I managed to get a set of apeks SM regs which were pre assembled

2x din first stages
2x xtx 50s on a long hose and a short hose
2x 6" inflator hoses on the 5th port
2x spgs with 6" hp hoses

My question is my sms100 inflator comes out from the top over my shoulder and therefore the power inflator is pointing downwards in the epaulette/keeper and the insertion point for the LP hose is very awkward coming from the 6" LP hose from my 1st stage and it is too short...

A solution I figured was to switch the position of the dump valve from bottom to top but I prefer the dump valve at the bottom and also there are reports of many failures resulting in swapping the valves.

Does anyone else have this problem and have a solution for this, any input is welcome :)

I switched it once, but went back and lengthened/rerouted my hose. I don't dive mine much anymore, as I prefer my Dive Rite Nomad LtZ.

FWIW, I haven't heard about these failures, and didn't encounter any in the flipping. The bigger the thread, the easier it is to cross-thread it. Just be careful, go slowly and you'll be fine.

the Sorenson swap has been done for as long as the SMS100 has existed. Edd has put thousands of dives on his SMS100 and it's fine. Swap it, just make sure you run the line to the dump valve properly. There's a reason the inflators are on the bottom.... I'd actually prefer it to work like that in backmount as well, but the wings don't make that particularly workable

the Sorenson swap has been done for as long as the SMS100 has existed. Edd has put thousands of dives on his SMS100 and it's fine. Swap it, just make sure you run the line to the dump valve properly. There's a reason the inflators are on the bottom.... I'd actually prefer it to work like that in backmount as well, but the wings don't make that particularly workable

Just swapped it and it seems ok, just that the length of corrugated hose is way too short so will look for a longer one.

Just swapped it and it seems ok, just that the length of corrugated hose is way too short so will look for a longer one.

When you get an extended corrugated hose, the best are the Dive Rite style that are oval-shaped and can stretch when pulled. I've attached a pic, below.

Pull-Dump.jpg

@Firdaus Buhari You'll also need some sprinkler hose line or a dead regulator hose *your LDS may give you one* with the ends cut off to extend the pull dump. DGX has cheap corrugated hoses

When you get an extended corrugated hose, the best are the Dive Rite style that are oval-shaped and can stretch when pulled. I've attached a pic, below.

View attachment 472302

I have the same issue. Thanks for bringing it up and offering up advice on addressing.

Back
Top Bottom