SideMount Setup Fine Tuning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh man, I wish....I would have to have my wife and kids take the course for free!! And, get them equipment for free, too :p

I will have to look into it tho, seriously, as that is a pretty good price :) Thanks!

Ok, so this is how I have ran my tanks.... 20191106_202514.jpg

Consensus here says to switch them....if I do that...how do the bungees go? Do I go back to the bolt snap bungees...threading then around the tank neck before clipping it to the upper D ring?

This is what I was going for...not sure how I got the tanks backwards...my mistake!

65631583_441189549996519_8083275527932084224_n.png

This is what I was going for...not sure how I got the tanks backwards...my mistake!

View attachment 548960

If you're mimicking that bungee setup, that's part of your problem. Like I said earlier, put a bolt snap around the neck for the d-ring when you're out of the water. In-water, the bungee goes behind the neck of the tank valve and hooks around the crossbar/burst disc stem. It's not just laying behind the valve neck. The bungee should be able to pull to correct tension without pulling on the d-ring at all (if you choose to put bolt snaps on it.) This cams the tanks back and up so they are actually sidemounted, and not low mounted.

Read this: Ultimate Guide: Positioning Sidemount Cylinder Bands %
And this: Ultimate Guide to Sidemount Cylinder Trim %

I'm having a little trouble picturing what you are describing, JohnnyC, unfortunately. I sure appreciate the effort! I looked at both those links and have seen them before...but, they do not show how the bungee goes around the tank valve...do you have any pics, please?

I am swapping out my two "shorty" tank valves [the ones with right hand valve and short burst disk nubs] with valves with longer tank valve nubs :)

Take a sidemount course. It's cheap money compared to the frustration most people deal with trying to get their stuff sorted. It's not always intuitive, and you need proper feedback based on how you look in the water.

THIS^^^^^

THIS^^^^^

Yes, that would be the most logical...however, I am not logical, unfortunately :(

That, and there are no courses for SM in my area that I can find...and my budget at the moment does not allow me to travel to another state or country to do the course....so...I am on here...begging y'all for advice :D

Back
Top Bottom