Sidemounters, where do you store your wet notes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

73diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A very old habit from backmount days: I record my tank pressures before I descend the anchor line and then again when I reach the surface and later calculate SAC rate for each dive (it amuses me). In sidemount configuration, it takes me an uncomfortably long time to retrieve the wet notes from a leg pocket, make the notatation and return them. I'd like this activity to be as effortless as a wrist slate but with the permanence that wet notes offer. I may be a bit fussy, but I dislike just clipping the wet notes to a D ring and letting them drift all over the place during the dive. Any suggestions for an effective method of storing and retrieving the wet notes? Regards

Maybe use a pouch attached to the tank camband? Or use a grease pencil to write on the tank itself.

5411b50af5d60543f6da03a402eee77b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what deco said.... I put them on the inside of the top panel. Alternatively you can use something like the new Dive Rite thigh pocket and slide the pocket to the front for wet notes

Thigh pocket for me. A spare mask also goes in there.

What deco said, but with your computer mounted to the first page. Saves arm space but still gives you somewhere to write.

pic stolen from Zach :shocked2:

petrel.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, but I'm no expert though... I did ditch the stupid velcro for 2 pieces of bungee, as well as removing the bungee from the pencil, but that's a matter of taste, I guess.

How did you mount that to the first page.

I´m also interested how you mount that to the first page. Screws or just bungee on one end?

X and I both use the DR thigh pockets. I have been using this configuration for years. I found DS leg pockets when they had things in them not only made it difficult to retrieve items, they also flared the cylinders out away from me and it was uncomfortable. We have our thigh pockets attached to our rigs waist belt. They are rather low on our legs, the bottom of the pocket just above the knee. This allows us to slide the pocket to the back out our legs so they are out of the way and don't catch or drag when going through low spots. If we need to get something deep in the pocket they can be spun around to the front of the thigh making it much easier to get into them. Most of the time I can get my most common things, like a spool, out without moving them from the back of my leg. For really small no-mount restrictions I've had to pop the clips loose to make it easier getting my legs through, easy to do and easy to put them back in place after the restriction is negotiated.

I'm considering using the wrist slate again, as others have mentioned, with one of my Petrels mounted to it for quick and easy notes. X and I speak in sign language so we rarely need to write notes, however when diving with others I've had times that a quick note to communicate would be nice compared to pulling out wet notes and writing it down permanently.

Back
Top Bottom