Sigma 19mm M4/3 lens UW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again Jon & Phil. I agree with Jon about your posts Phil - always read with great interest. In fact you steered me in the direction of my E-PL2 which, strangely enough, I had delivered to Grand Haven MI on my only ever visit to the US in 2011 ... right next to Spring Lake where Jon lives. I believe there is some excellent wreck diving in the lake near to you Jon and I look forward to returning sometime.

I went ahead and placed an order for both lenses, more for use out of water, but I will give them a go in the housing anyway. If it works out I will post some pics ... when they finally turn up from back order.

Cheers Graeme Smith

Graeme Smith

Thanks again Jon & Phil. I agree with Jon about your posts Phil - always read with great interest. In fact you steered me in the direction of my E-PL2 which, strangely enough, I had delivered to Grand Haven MI on my only ever visit to the US in 2011 ... right next to Spring Lake where Jon lives. I believe there is some excellent wreck diving in the lake near to you Jon and I look forward to returning sometime.

I went ahead and placed an order for both lenses, more for use out of water, but I will give them a go in the housing anyway. If it works out I will post some pics ... when they finally turn up from back order.

Cheers Graeme Smith

Graeme Smith

No kidding?! What were you doing in Grand Haven? I've read about the wrecks in Lake Michigan and always ment to dive one. I may try it this summer. I'm just not that into cold water diving, but who knows it could be a lot of fun.

Jon

When I was living in the UK my closest friend was married to a girl originally from Spring Lake. They have recently moved to Grand Haven permanently. We visited them in late fall 2011 when they were staying in their holiday home. She has a cousin who owns a dive store in GH which is how I heard about the wrecks. It might take a year or two but we will visit again. Perhaps we can dive a wreck together. Followed by a Salty Dog at Jumping Java!
Cheers
Graeme

Back to lenses. The Sigma 19mm and 30mm turned up this morning. They do sit well back in the PT 03 housing but there does not appear to be any vignetting with the standard port. Both lenses focused perfectly through the port out of the water. ( Because they sit so far back I wondered if the glass on the port might confuse the focusing but it doesn't) . If the weather is favourable I will test them underwater next weekend.

I have both and they work well for above water use as travel, portrait and product lenses. I see little upside for the 30mm underwater because it does not focus very close and gives about the same area of coverage at close focus as the 19mm does. No image quality gain over the Olympus 12-50 zoom only a faster lens F/2.8 v. the zoom. Even so I see little difference in AF speed in low light which you would expect to be better at F/2.8. All in, not that useful as underwater lenses over just about any of the common lenses used U/W with the M43 systems.

Phil Rudin

I have both and they work well for above water use as travel, portrait and product lenses. I see little upside for the 30mm underwater because it does not focus very close and gives about the same area of coverage at close focus as the 19mm does. No image quality gain over the Olympus 12-50 zoom only a faster lens F/2.8 v. the zoom. Even so I see little difference in AF speed in low light which you would expect to be better at F/2.8. All in, not that useful as underwater lenses over just about any of the common lenses used U/W with the M43 systems.

Phil Rudin

Thanks Phil,
I didnt think the 30mm would work that well for the reasons you stated. Obviously the Oly 12-50mm is the way to go for a general purpose lens. So far I only use the m4/3 prime lenses for underwater, which are stellar. I dont own the 12-50 so havent tried it. But I do own the sony rx100 for a true pocket camera. How do you think the rx100 would compare to the omd with the 12-50mm?

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom