Sigma 20mm ART prime lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James R

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Looking for a rectilinear WA lens, have the older Nikon 20/2.8D and have used the Nikon 16-35/4 a good bit, both with good results. I really like prime lenses for underwater (no zoom gear, crop with fins, good IQ etc).

Just wondering if any of you Nikon shooters have the Sigma 20mm F1.4 ART lens, and if you have used it underwater. It measures pretty close to the Nikon 16-35, so ma work with extension ring 70...hm

I have two domes...a Zen 170 and Nauticam 8.5, shooting Nikon D810 in Nauticam housing.

Thx,

I wish :)

If it fits your gear, can't you rent it for a weekend and give it a try? Would be great to see how it compares to the 16-35

I don't own the 16-35...I used it for a few days in the Maldives last fall. A buddy of mine and I both shoot D810 in Nauticam housings, so we traded lenses and ports a lot. Really fun!

Renting it did cross my mind. Not a bad idea, was just hoping someone out there had already tried it :)

James;

Not sure how well it would shoot UW, you'd need some extensions probably around 40-50mm.

What I have shot is the Sigma 15FE with a the Kenko 1.4TC. This gives you a 21mm lens equiv that's about f/3.2. You use either dome you have plus a 20mm ext. It shoots pretty well, gives you a little more reach.

I've actually eyed the 28mm f1.8 for the same reasons. I'm guessing a 40mm ext would work with it.

All of these lenses would shoot better in a 230mm dome however.

I agree, rent them from LensRentals.com first, you'd only have to buy the extensions.

Here's a shot from the 15mm Sigma with the Kenko 1.4TC:

8093302754_16f5a2925f_c.jpg

I have used my Sigma 15 with the 1.4x TC and extension ring 20 at Socorro, with really good results. I have heard that fisheye lenses for great whites (cage diving with them at Isla Guadalupe this summer) is not ideal, so I was thinking about a better option than the Nikon 20mm 2.8D I have already. Fortunately edge sharpness there wont matter since it'll be water, but ideally whatever I go with will work on other trips where I may care about the edges.

I will try a few lenses in Hawaii before then. I expect I will end up with a 16-35, but we'll see. I don't really want a 230mm dome for a few reasons. I was happy with the images from the Maldives using the 16-35 and Zen 200mm dome, but you can definitely see the edges are not great -- this is one example: D810, 16-35/4 @ 1/125 F10 ISO400 (16mm)
Maldives - reef at night - 6357 by James R, on Flickr

How about those special correction thingies to use with a flat port? I think I read about it in wetpixel, but no news since.

Prob wont be available to me to try in the next month or two, unfortunately...

I ended up with the 16-35, and I am happy with it...Not so happy with my 8.5" dome, but for now it'll be good enough. Next two trips are white sharks in a cage and tiger beach in bahamas, both without any worry about corner sharpness. I'll move to the 15mm sigma fisheye in the bahamas for reef dives.

Back
Top Bottom