Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM ultra wide zoom lens sample images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cp111

Registered
Reaction score
While the Tokina 10-17 gets a lot of (well deserved) accolades from u/w photographers, there are some cases where a rectilinear lens is called for. For cropped frame cameras like the Canon 7D or the Nikon D300s, the typical rectilinear wide angle zoom lenses people use underwater are the Canon 10-22, Nikon 12-24, Nikon 10-24 or 12-24, Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 10-20. Then there is the new Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM ultra wide zoom lens. This is a wide lens, with a diagonal FOV (field of view) at 8mm of about 121º. For comparison, the Canon 10-22 FOV is 107º at 10mm. (Note, though, that the Tokina 10-17 diagonal FOV at 10mm is nearly a 180º fisheye view).

IMG_0079-800.jpg

I had a chance to take the Sigma 8-16mm for a couple of dives recently. I outfitted it to my Canon 7D, in a Nauticam NA-7D housing, and brought along 3 different sizes of extension rings. The dome I chose was the Zen Underwater 230mm superdome. Corner sharpness is certainly something to be considered with this wide lens, and the big 230mm dome was my choice to get the sharpest possible corners. After trying the various Nauticam Locking Extension rings, I settled on the 60mm ring; no vignetting seen with this extension at any zoom setting, and corner sharpness turned out to be good.

IMG_0102-800.jpg

The super dome makes over/under shots much easier than with a smaller dome. The 8-16mm was a good lens choice for this shot taken at the Dry Tortugas; note how it keeps the lines of the old coaling dock straight. This is one shot where a rectiliner lens like 8-16mm lens is needed, and the Zen 230mm dome makes it an appropriate combination for over/under shooting.

IMG_3222-800.jpg

Corner sharpness is of course dependent on many things including distance to the object in the corner, but at f/7.1 or smaller aperture I was usually ok with the corners. I did notice some transverse chromatic aberration around the edges at all apertures. You can also see from this shot the relative lack of distortion, and that the straight lines look like straight lines.

IMG_0253-800.jpg

IMG_0253-crop-800.jpg

More here: Getting wide – the Sigma 8-16 Nauticam USA

Thanks for the very informative post. I was intrested in this lens and wanted a comparison with my current 10-17mm Tokina.

I would like to see a comparison of different domes on a single lens (tokina 10-17mm @ 10mm would be ideal) with the mini dome like a 100mm, 8 inch Acrylic, something larger like the 230mm.

Regards Mark

Thanks for the very informative post. I was intrested in this lens and wanted a comparison with my current 10-17mm Tokina.

I would like to see a comparison of different domes on a single lens (tokina 10-17mm @ 10mm would be ideal) with the mini dome like a 100mm, 8 inch Acrylic, something larger like the 230mm.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

It would be an interesting comparison, but we'd need to think about the parameters a bit.... there are a lot of types of shots where you couldn't tell one from another. Then there are other types of shots where one dome would have a distinct advantage - over/under with the 230mm for example. And there are some shots that some domes can do that others can't, example being a super close CFWA shot with the 100mm.

Cp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom