Signed up for Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, Mr G does feet massages too? Might have to hit him up next time he's doing his valet tech dive services :p

I always learn something from any GUE instructor ... Even my cavern course with the Kierens was exceptional ...essentially Fundies in an overhead, taught me more about teamwork than diving that weekend

Glad you guys made it through.

_R

Good write up. My wife and I have been talking for about a year about taking fundies. We're both abe davis cave divers and recently moved to ccr. The biggest thing stopping us is having the time for the course. I fully expect to not get a tech pass when we take it. We consider ourselves good divers, but have been diving sidemount for a long time (until recently moving back to bm) and really need more time in bm before taking the class. I know that I would get more out of not getting a tech pass then passing most other courses.
Thanks for the write up. It confirms my suspicions that we should take it. I think we may hit you up for ccr cave first though (once we get more ccr time).

Thank you for the detailed report. I really enjoyed reading it.

I have been researching different tech agencies and comparing. One of the things I found curious in research was the GUE equipment configuration. What I think I see is a primary donate on a 7ft. hose. Looks like GUE teaches routing hose under right arm to waist and then looping around the neck to come back to your mouth? Am I understanding that correctly? If that is right it would certainty make sure there was no excess hose but would it not increase risk? If someone grabs primary and you can't get it un-looped from head you are stuck close together with someone pulling something around your neck.

Understand this risk would be mitigated to a certain extent by the fact that everyone in GUE is taught the same and configured the same so less risk of panic, but the risk is still there if you are diving with non-GUE divers or someone straight up panics.

Not trying to criticize the setup. Honestly trying to determine if I understand what they are advocating and then understand the pros/cons to it.

What I think I see is a primary donate on a 7ft. hose. Looks like GUE teaches routing hose under right arm to waist and then looping around the neck to come back to your mouth? Am I understanding that correctly?
Yes, you do.

If that is right it would certainty make sure there was no excess hose but would it not increase risk? If someone grabs primary and you can't get it un-looped from head you are stuck close together with someone pulling something around your neck.
The hose is routed under the battery canister before crossing the chest. So therefore there's no excess hose. Unlooping is nothing more than nodding your head and it will be free (part of the routine check before setting off). Even if a diver pulls the reg from your mouth, the hose will still come free easily because of the horizontal body position you're in by just nodding. When being in a more vertical postion this would present a challenge.

Understand this risk would be mitigated to a certain extent by the fact that everyone in GUE is taught the same and configured the same so less risk of panic, but the risk is still there if you are diving with non-GUE divers or someone straight up panics.
Don't see a problem there. I dive a lot with non GUE divers and never had an issue.

Not trying to criticize the setup. Honestly trying to determine if I understand what they are advocating and then understand the pros/cons to it.
No problem, I would suggest to dive and practice out of air drills with someone who dives with a long hose config. It's way easier to show than to explain in text.

What AJ said ... just nodding your head while in proper trim will free about 2.5 feet of hose (the portion that was behind your head and part of what went across the chest). This is super quick and super easy. After that you have all time in the world to deploy the rest of the hose, or manage your light cord if you have one.

If someone grabs primary and you can't get it un-looped from head you are stuck close together with someone pulling something around your neck.

Almost impossible to not be able to get the hose off your head as there is nothing for it to get caught on.

Unless you wear a snorkel or a helmet. Which is why we dont. :)

we get by with helmets just fine in sidemount and hog looping the primary is SOP. It's not quite as easy as just sliding up your hood, but it's not that difficult. Snorkels certainly pose problems though

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom