Silicon grease for Gopro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any suggestions on the type of silicone grease to use for Go Pro o-rings? How often should they be greased? Some people even say it's better not to use anything and just wash it with water

Cleaning with fresh water, like I do now, or using some kind of soap?

If you do use lube, use a silicone grease on O rings as it will not break down the rubber material the seals are made from like petroleum grease will.

Don’t lube them. I did and then regretted it as they picked up a load of muck which stuck.

Camera housing o rings are quite specific about which lube to use and it depends on the exact material of the o ring. So the appropriate lube for one make may not be the one for another. If GoPro think you should be using lube they will have some to sell you.

Maintenance suggested by GoPro official website for Hero 5 (I guess for Super Suite Case and other camera models it should be the same)
They don't mention grease
https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero5-black/manuals/HERO5Black_UM_ENG_REVC_Web.pdf

Follow these guidelines to get the best performance from your camera:
• The camera is waterproof to 33’ (10m)—no housing needed. Ensure that the doors are closed before using the camera in or around water, dirt, or sand.
• Before closing the doors, be sure the seals are free of debris. If needed, clean with a cloth.
• Before opening the doors, be sure the camera is free of water or debris. If needed, rinse the camera with fresh water and dry it with a cloth.
• If sand or debris hardens around the doors, soak the camera in warm tap water for 15 minutes and then rinse thoroughly to remove the debris before opening the doors.
• In wet environments, dry the touch display with a soft cloth so that it registers your touch.
• For best audio performance, shake the camera or blow on the mic to remove water and debris from the microphone holes. To prevent damage to the internal waterproof membranes, do not use compressed air to blow into the mic holes. • After every use in salt water, rinse the camera with fresh water, and dry with a soft cloth.
• To clean the lens, wipe it with a soft, lint-free cloth. If debris becomes lodged between the lens and the trim ring, flush it out with water or air. Do not insert foreign objects around the lens.

Thanks for that research! I was considering "treating" this case seal until reading your post. Much appreciative!!

I was using my GoPro in cold water and the "take a picture button" stuck down. Took 1200 pictures. So I removed all of the metal buttons and O rings and cleaned and lubed them with silicone grease from my dive shop. That was about 3 years ago. No issues. No leaks and the buttons operate easier and never stick.

Back
Top Bottom