Silicone Spray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DUI never said anything about it when I posted that question to them, they said water soluble silicone was fine to use on zippers and such
the suit when I got it, the only way I could move the zipper at all was after lubing it and it took many times to get it to slide at all .. that thing was toast so I had DUI put in a new one ... and they did without mentioning any hardships at doing so to me

silicone valves, and O2 clean ... that is useful info, I didnt know that

I mostly use the spray on my jet fins, snap hooks/snap bolts, spool, gromets on my dss bp/w, dive knife that came with my bcd and hoses, I don't really spray it really well, just enough to put a thin layer and I wipe it evenly with a clean cloth, dry it up and store it in my crate.

As with any lube/conditioner I don't use it unless needed. I condition my wetsuit about once a year and lube bolt snaps and other gear as needed with the same food grade silicone to avoid petroleum contaminating my gear since it may all end up in the same pile.

I prefer the hand pump as it contains more silicone and less propellant for a similar price, but your hand will tire sooner.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

The only thing I use silicone spray for is getting the batteries into my scooter.

For boltsnaps, I use WD40. For my dry suit, I use Sail Kote.

I discovered a great trick involving silicone spray. I posted it in the "Neat Little tricks are good to know" thread, but perhaps it bears repeating here:

If you are struggling to don and doff fins because the boot is bit too tight in the fin pocket, try spraying a few puffs of silicone spray in the fin pocket every 4-5 dives or so. Works like magic; suddenly you can get your fins off and on with one little tug, rather than writhing around in the water trying to get them off so you can climb back into the boat or back on shore.

(This probably applies more to cold water diving, but could help for warm water too).

cheers and happy diving!

I discovered a great trick involving silicone spray. I posted it in the "Neat Little tricks are good to know" thread, but perhaps it bears repeating here:

If you are struggling to don and doff fins because the boot is bit too tight in the fin pocket, try spraying a few puffs of silicone spray in the fin pocket every 4-5 dives or so. Works like magic; suddenly you can get your fins off and on with one little tug, rather than writhing around in the water trying to get them off so you can climb back into the boat or back on shore.

(This probably applies more to cold water diving, but could help for warm water too).

cheers and happy diving!

I second the above statement works like a miracle for removing your fins.

Wow. Silicone on windshield wipers and water soluble silicone.
Gonna have to write those up in my invisible book with my lemon juice pencil.
Note to self. Buy fins smaller than foot, carpet deck, replenish neoprene drysuit water soluble seal donning lubricant bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom